PBXact XaxtView

Cannot seem to get XactView working…
XactViewV3 Admin 14.0.1 Stable i9 Technologies GPLv3 Enabled

PBX Firmware:
12.7.5-1807-1.sng7

Failed to contact the XactView server.
Verify that your XactView server is installed and running and that the server API host and port are correct in the fields below.
If you have SSL enabled below and are using the SSL port for the API connection you need to enable SSL in the XactView server’s security.xml file for the communication_manager servlet

XactView v.3 was running on the new PBXact 40 box, but I seem to have broken it.

Currently getting a message on the GUI/Admin/XactViewV3 Admin section that reads the same as above.

PBX Firmware:12.7.5-1902-3.sng7

PBX Service Pack:1.0.0.0

This happened after I edited the three instances of username and password in opt/xactview3/server/conf/security.xml, and broke it.

Going back and replacing the original
Username: manager
Password: manag3rpa55word
did not change the “Connection NO” status in the GUI, even after a reboot or two.

Any ideas on how to reinstall the XactViewV3 module and/or get it knitted back into PBXact?

Here’s the Debug Modify Log that shows errors:

(24 Apr 2019 14:58:07)-[DEBUG]: Starting modify script
(24 Apr 2019 14:58:07)-[DEBUG]: Synchronizing database
(24 Apr 2019 14:58:07)-[DEBUG]: Agent interface type: peer
(24 Apr 2019 14:58:07)-[DEBUG]: Agent login context: from-queue
(24 Apr 2019 14:58:07)-[DEBUG]: Starting REST connection to http://localhost:58080/communication_manager/api/resource/
(24 Apr 2019 14:58:07)-[DEBUG]: Checking core server default
(24 Apr 2019 14:58:07)-[ERROR]: Failed to check for core server
exception ‘CXPest_UnknownResponse’ in /var/www/html/admin/modules/cxpanel/lib/CXPest.php:301
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/html/admin/modules/cxpanel/lib/CXPest.php(238): CXPest->checkLastResponseForError()
#1 /var/www/html/admin/modules/cxpanel/lib/CXPest.php(65): CXPest->doRequest(Resource id #490)
#2 /var/www/html/admin/modules/cxpanel/modify.php(300): CXPest->get(‘server/coreServ…’)
#3 /var/www/html/admin/modules/cxpanel/modify.php(114): check_core_server()
#4 {main}
(24 Apr 2019 14:58:07)-[DEBUG]: Looking up core server id for slug default
(24 Apr 2019 14:58:07)-[ERROR]: Failed to lookup core server id
exception ‘CXPest_UnknownResponse’ in /var/www/html/admin/modules/cxpanel/lib/CXPest.php:301
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/html/admin/modules/cxpanel/lib/CXPest.php(238): CXPest->checkLastResponseForError()
#1 /var/www/html/admin/modules/cxpanel/lib/CXPest.php(65): CXPest->doRequest(Resource id #491)
#2 /var/www/html/admin/modules/cxpanel/modify.php(278): CXPest->get(‘server/coreServ…’)
#3 /var/www/html/admin/modules/cxpanel/modify.php(117): get_core_server_id()
#4 {main}

I posted the following in the Comments section of Sangoma’s Documentation Wiki for XactView V3.

Then, received an email notice that the post had been deleted. I thought it would be better served here. Plus, I’m curious to see whether Sangoma will again delete an unfavorable post.

Begin Copy—
It seems that Sangoma offers no means (like most companies will) of approaching the Support staff without there being some significant cost to the customer. The fact that this cost, as I have come to understand it, is accrued by the hour, rather than by the incident, is further disappointing. Many companies will charge a flat fee per incident.

Sangoma provides inadequate documentation for operation to begin with and then steers people to the paid support channel rather than taking such an opportunity to bolster their Knowledge Base with missing data.

This leaves me feeling ambivalent about participating in what appears to be either poor planning on the part of Sangoma’s documentation team, or, a deliberate scheme to generate revenue through the support channel by withholding key data from those who are paid and licensed owners of the PBXact product that seek the information most companies would include in their manuals.

This Wiki is exactly where answers to questions that should be part of the documentation should be found. Rather than the information many users may look for only being provided after paying a ransom.

FWIW, I have also contributed to a thread in the community forum. Not that I expect anyone with knowledge of this product is likely to participate there, as the same question was asked in September of last year and mine is the first response. This does further support how this question is common to more than one customer and the answer may well be justified to be added to the KB/Wiki.
—End Copy

If Sangoma offered an annual support contract, or, per incident support for a flat fee, I would be more interested in approaching them with a problem. I’ve had too many instances of paying by the hour for someone who doesn’t know the answers and charges me to search the same places I’ve already searched.

EDIT: Thanks for the following posts. I’ll look into this further. Apologies for the above rant.

Well the thing about commercial modules, they come with support included. That is part of what you pay for. You are conflating users with non-commercial systems/modules getting paid support vs the support that comes with commercial systems/modules.

So your rant is based off not understanding how commercial products work.

Why would you post your rants or suggestions on a documentation guide???

If you have an issue with the way support is handled open a customer service ticket with Sangoma

The issue with all this is a lack of understanding. The whole crux of this rant was that Sangoma makes you buy a commercial module, then it has poor documents so you need support but in order to get support you have to pay the standard support rate after already paying for the commercial module.

Unfortunately, that is completely incorrect. Since when you buy a commercial module you get support for the first year and then the annual maintenance fee covers updates and support for beyond that. So all the things the OP wished they had at the end. A support contract or an annual fee for support/maintenance already exist.

This is a rant based on being grossly misinformed.

I’m new to their wiki. There was a Comments section there and I inquired as to whether the information I was seeking could be found somewhere. The response was to contact Support.

There is every indication that support is only available when purchased via “credits” and I have not seen an indication that a purchase of a PBXact 40 with commercial modules in any way has support available that doesn’t require purchase of these credits.

If support is actually included with the purchase of the PBXact 40, then I need to figure out how to access it without use of purchased credits, and I apologize for my rant.

I’ll take another look. The last time I tried to access support it steered me toward the purchase of credits and it felt like I had been misled regarding the support I thought was included.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Commercial module support is for bugs, errors or issues beyond control of the user. Free support does not include config assistance nor recovery from self imposed problems. I’m not familiar with the specifics in this case, but this appears to be the noteworthy part:

All that said, you can remove and reinstall XactView on 14 with the following:

yum remove XactViewServerV3-fpbx
locate xactview folder in /opt and move it out of there to /tmp in case it’s needed
fwconsole ma delete cxpanel
yum install XactViewServerV3-fpbx
fwconsole ma downloadinstall cxpanel

1 Like

Regarding Support:
In this case, it turns out we did have a support contract that was included in the purchase of the device.

Only, when I created an account at Sangoma’s Support Portal there was no prompt or other indication that I may need to “Claim a Product” in order for my Support account to be associated with our product, rather than the account of the reseller we purchased it from.

To confuse things further, shortly after purchase I had contacted the reseller about the support I thought was included and they tried to sell me their support by the hour, and made no mention of how I would need to “Claim a Product” on Sangoma’s Support Portal in order to make use of the contract that was included with our purchase.

Only after the above replies indicated I might have missed something, did I contact Sangoma Sales via a Chat session and the matter was resolved by providing me a link to the step by step to “Claim a Product” and transfer the support to my account.

Why, oh why, isn’t this a part of the Account setup? If only the process had made it clear that a product purchased from a reseller needed to be claimed in order to have access to the support channel I would have been using it for the past 7 months. Looks like I now only have 5 months left, but hopefully that will get me through deployment.

Regarding the CLI info:
Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for.

At best I’m only a dabbler in Linux, though have been supporting many Linux based appliances for decades, I don’t work on the CLI side of things often enough to remain proficient. Usually, a quick search will turn up this sort of information and I’ll get it done. Now doing so will turn up this thread for anyone else with the need to perform a reinstallation of XactView.

Lots of users have portal accounts without Sangoma hardware, so this question should be posed to your reseller.

Lots of users don’t need many of the fields provided in the Account setup, yet they ARE there for those that do.

So, I can imagine about how that conversation with the reseller will go.

Me: Why didn’t you tell me?

Them: Why didn’t you ask about something you knew nothing about?

Me: I did and you tried to sell me your support services instead. Can you fix it so I can have my full term of support?

Them: Sorry, Sangoma policy dictates the support starts the day of sale. They ought to send us a check for the time we save them by creating this hassle for you by not letting you know when you purchased, nor, when you asked us about this 7 months ago. We like to try to sell our by-the-hour support and pretend we didn’t understand your question was about enabling the contract that came with your purchase.

Me: Gee thanks. So, I should approach Sangoma about post-dating the support contract?

Them: Bwahahahahahahahaha, good luck with that! They will just tell you to contact us.

OK, you need to stop making snide remarks without understanding how things fully work. You did everything through your resellers which means all the deployment IDs, product licenses, etc are through them. When you claim your product, it goes to the reseller’s queue of Incoming Claims and then the reseller has to approve or deny the claim.

The reason that Sangoma bounces you back to the reseller is because that is who your direction relationship is with. In a lot of cases, like this one, it is also due to the reseller having control over these things If they don’t approve your claim requests in a timely manner or at all, Sangoma isn’t going to just go in there and override them.

The reseller is a layer between you and Sangoma and there is nothing in the books that say a reseller just isn’t selling PBX systems straight up. It could be part of a larger package of services and not allowing the end user access and giving over licenses, et al is at the discretion of the reseller.

The reseller would have known all of this and it would be the responsibility of the reseller to inform you of things like this because these things make a difference for the times you have to communicate directly with Sangoma.

Understanding the subtleties of a supply chain is something I do grasp. However, if I buy a Dell computer from Best Buy, I won’t go to the Geek Squad for help with it, I’ll call the manufacturer whose warranty provides support directly to the customer.

I bought a single item off the vendor’s website. A PBXact 40. They took the order and shipped it after a phone conversation. After receipt of the item I emailed asking about the included support (while putting out a dozen other fires a one-man IT show is often juggling). The response was a phone call where the vendor tried to emphasize the benefits of purchasing support directly from them. No further mention was made about the support I thought was included, even after repeatedly asking. This was a Sales-critter. In order to speak to a technical person about this I would be required to purchase support. Essentially, saying that in order to answer my question regarding access to the included support I’d need to pay for their support services. Catch-22

Today, the control of my Support was switched instantaneously after following the step by step that was provided by Sangoma, not by the reseller. There was no need to contact them in order to accomplish this. Had I contacted Sangoma 7 months ago the issue would have been resolved instantly at that time. Instead, I followed the advice you are offering and contacted the vendor. IT WAS THE WRONG THING TO DO.

The reseller has already proven to me that they are not particularly adept at taking the time to understand the question before proposing an answer that is limited to those things that will bring them additional profit. They clearly didn’t look to see that their invoice included the support that I was asking about. They appear to be profit-centric, rather than customer-oriented.

Caveat emptor.

At this point, as someone whose time would be better spent wrapping up the PBX deployment and getting back to performing the duties that are mine as sole IT presence for this small company for the past 22 years, I see little advantage for me by making further attempts to convince this vendor that they should act on the behalf of their customer.

They have demonstrated beyond any shadow of a doubt that they are incapable of doing so, other than to offer additional goods and services for sale.

The remaining 5 months of support will serve me better if I spend my time focused on the new phone system, rather than some petty argument that has little chance of success.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, just the same.

1 Like

I was able to confirm with Sangoma that ALL configuration support is provided only via a by-the-minute charge by purchasing credits which eventually expire if not used.

The annual support contract will only provide updates and support for hardware issues and software bugs.

Regarding XactView, the 5 included licenses on the PBXact 40 UC are for evaluation of the interface only and are not a fully enabled version of the product. Additional charges will be necessary to enable the product and another module purchase to provide functionality for the Queue Call Waiting feature that I was hoping to utilize. We have no need for the advanced call center reporting features and only wanted our agents to be aware if there were another call waiting in the queue. It appears that this won’t work like I had hoped.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.