Painfully Slow Installation

Can anyone shed some light on why the latest FrePBX takes so long to install from USB, spending 99% of time with NO disk activity but making serious attempts to overcook the processor by giving it masses of work to do? Surely an installation should be quicker than this? I’ve been using FreePBX since version 11 and that was fast to install and, once up to speed, quick and easy to configure. It seems to me the latest versions are becoming more difficult to do everything.

Where does it get stuck?

Installation of Node.js and its components takes a little while.

Your USB interface may be a little slow. Installing distro from ISO is pretty fast.

Thanks for the response. It does the first 2/3rds of the installation fine and then when it hits the DAHDI installation the processor gets hotter and the fan starts whirring and there’s barely any disk activity to speak of. The Disk Activity lamp barely flashes a all during that time. I don’t believe for one minute that it is struggling with the USB2 interface on the unit and especially not since the proposed PBX has an SSD instead of a HDD. An installation that is doing anything other than transferring files from one medium to another does should not take an hour or more. It does not make any sense.

The installer lets you switch consoles during install. If you go to console 2 (control-F2) you should have a root prompt there where you can investigate what’s going on during the stall. I might be wrong about the console number. One has the installer, another has log output, a third has root shell. Since you mentioned dahdi, I suspect there’s more going on there than “transferring files from one medium to another” - obviously something is being built, perhaps the dahdi kernel module.

If I recall correctly, DAHDI is installed from source, so it is probably compiling the source code, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply arielgrin, I figured it would be doing something but to take as long as it does on a 64bit DualCore with 8gb of ram was a bit confusing for me. Nevermind, installed now, just to fight with the shell to get SMTP Settings for secure email configured. You might see me on here again because it’s been so long I’ve forgotten.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.