Outgoing Caller ID

How do I set the outgoing caller ID? When I call from my phone connected to Asterisk/FreePBX (1.7.1/2.7.0.10) it shows up as “Broadvoice”. I am using Broadvoice, but that’s not really what I want to advertise. Where do I do this? I tried to set the CID in the outbound route, but that didn’t change anything.

You need to set it in the extension.

The name that appears on Caller ID isn’t set in FreePBX. The incoming name is set by the telephone company that is receiving the call, and you have no means to control that.

Correct, but he asked how to set the outgoing Caller ID, not the incoming

Thanks.

Yes, I am trying to set my outgoing ID. I looked at the extensions, and the only place seems to be the “outgoing CID”, and it specifies a format of “name” . I tried

“name”
“name” xxxxxxxxxx
"name"
name

And nothing changed other that I must have p’d off BroadVoice and they disabled the account (when I try to call the number from the outside, I am now getting a “party not available” message).

What is the exact format I need to use? with the quotation marks and “<”?

It also says that the extension will override what is defined in the trunk. That one is set to simply xxxxxxxxxx (the 10-digit phone number).

oh, the board seems to strip out ‘less-than sign’ xxxxxxxxxx ‘greater-than sign’. that was supposed to show up after the first option above…

As I said before, you cannot set your outgoing caller ID name. Well, okay, technically, you can set it, but it will not be passed along.

In the U.S., only the Caller ID Number is transmitted with a call. You can put any name you want in the Caller ID field, but it won’t be passed along when you make a call.

The name that is delivered to the person you call is set by their own telephone company, usually from their own records. That’s why calls from outside of your local area often come in with a message that reads “Out of Area,” even if there is a phone number.

There is a national database that some telcos and VOIP Providers use for Caller ID, and there are services online that purport to allow you to add your own name selection to the database. However, there are have been reports that those services are scams and simply result in telemarketing calls.

If you want to try it, go to listyourself.net.

He asked how to set HIS outgoing, which is someone else’s incoming.

Thanks, AdHominem, that’s good information, although discouraging at the same time. I checked listyourself.net, and it seems to be inviting spam. Not what I want. What you said makes a lot of sense, but it leaves one question unanswered: Why does my number, when I call a Vonage phone, show up as “Broadvoice”? “Unknown number” I would understand, but “Broadvoice”? I don’t think that Broadvoice would go around and call every company that provides phone service and “registers” the phone numbers they want to provide to their customers under their own name. That would be stupid. So, where does Vonage get the information that the phone number comes from “Broadvoice”? There are 3 possibilities, as far as I can see:

1. The information is sent in the initiation string of the call. That means that Broadvoice should be able to change it, and should, as I am paying for the line and it should show my name, not theirs.

2. The information is not sent with the initiation (as you suggest), and Vonage looks it up in a database of their own. The question then is: How did the information get in there, and how can it be changed.

3. The information is not sent, and Vonage looks up the information in a third party database. Again, then, how did it get in there in the first place and how can it be corrected (without inviting spam).

I have a asked Vonage, but I am not expecting a clear answer and not within the next 24 hours. I’ll post what I find out.

I am the CTO of a regional VoIP provider, let me clear this up for you.

Certainly you can send non-numeric CID information in a SIP message, it will be treated as invalid by the downstream carrier. You should send numeric only caller ID. If you assert a properly formatted e.164 CID you should stop seeing the default carrier CID.

Carriers subscribe to a nationwide database that is maintained by all the telco’s, both large and small. It is called the CNAM database. Your provider should offer you the option of setting CNAM, you only want to update CNAM on a main business number.

We charge 2/mo for this service.

Not necessarily so.
I know I’m being pedantic, but let me clarify this.

Outgoing Calls.
I can set whatever digits I like in the outgoing field, but it is telco dependant whether they are passed on. Traditionally, in the PSTN world the telco would provide the DDI or pilot number to be presented, but in the VoIP world, some telcos are less restrictive about this than others.
For example, I often get calls from other SIP callers which shows their extension number (for their company) or their name.

Incoming Calls.
Some telcos provide a service that allows a phone number to be presented in CLID as a name or other designation.
Also, if the called party has set up their inbound calls to their PBX to map to an address book or other database, the CLID on the phone will present differently.

All in all, this is a long winded way of saying that the assumption you made that the outgoing CLID will be the same as the incoming CLID is incorrect, which is why I called you out on it.

Hope this clarifies the matter.