Outbound faxing from Asterisk (not passthrough) over SIP trunk - is T.38 useful?

Hi! Thanks for looking at my post.

I’ve setup many customer FreePBX systems with outbound faxing over PRI’s (using yajhfc, Hylafax+ and iaxmodem). I now have a customer that would like this same setup but they have a SIP trunk instead of a PRI. The SIP trunk from Asterisk 16 (FreePBX 15) is terminated at an on-premise Cisco IAD (which then has it’s own redundant SIP trunking back to the SIP provider’s network).

If I am dealing with sending faxes from Asterisk (not from a fax machine), is T.38 useful between the Asterisk box and the Cisco IAD which are both on the same network? And if so, how do I enable the T.38 transmission? I am open to using the Sangoma Commercial Fax module if it adds value (but I like the yajhfc print driver interface to Hylafax+).

If I want to hookup a physical fax machine using an ATA, I realize that there is an option in the SIP settings to do T.38 passthrough.

I’d certainly appreciate anyone willing to set me on the right course.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.