Out of Ideas - No IP

Hello,

I am trying to get FreePBX/Asterisk 14 installed on a HP Proliant Gen 9 DL20. The SNG7/FreePBX install is successful, but there is no DHCP IP address pulled down.

• The install usb/FreePBX image works, I have installed on other Proliants recently.
  • The issues is not switch/network related, I have tried connecting both eth0 & eth1 to four different. internet sources, and the same result occurs, no DHCP/IP Address. The other FreePBX proliants work as expected when plugged into these same network ports.
  • The lights on the NIC light up and blink, like they are transmitting data.

I realize this isn’t an HP forum, and am opening tickets with the hardware provider, but I have an end of the month deadline and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what might be wrong?

Can you get to the console (KVM on the box)? If so, log in as root and look at the eth0 and eth1 profiles using “dmesg | grep eth” and “ifconfig -a”. That will tell you about what the hardware is doing right now.

In order for the install to complete, you had to have IP available - that’s how the latest modules are loaded. Knowing that, it’s probably something transient or (perhaps) something related to a kernel update.

After that, look in “/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*eth[01]” and see what the ifcfg scripts are doing for you. You can edit these files by hand to set the network up to work the way you want it to. If that doesn’t light your network, double check the network connection, including things like pins on the network jacks and other physical damage.

If the “ifconfig” tells you that you are getting all of your settings, there are problems somewhere else.

At some point, whether you want to use DHCP for this or not, you are going to have to assign the interfaces static(-ish) IP addresses. You can do this in the ifcfg-eth* file directly, or you can “Reserve” an address in your DHCP server for the Ethernet MAC addresses for your system. Make sure the reserved addresses are outside your pool addresses, and make sure the default routes and other network setting are correct for your network.

If you are using an advanced DHCP server (like the ISC server, for example), you can set up host groups that share common characteristics and predefine all of your servers by interface type and/or MAC address.

1 Like

From bash

tcpdump -i ethn -vvnn portrange 67-68

Would show DHCP conversations

2 Likes

I changed the boot to legacy and that seemed to clear it up. Thanks for the consult.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.