I have been in the process of setting up a new Asterisk/FreePBX system with Cisco 7960, 7941G and 7965G phones. After much work I finally got the 7960 and 7941G phones working… that will be another thread! The only phones left were the 7965G phones. They just would not register. The 7941G phones had a version 8 firmware, 7965 phones had SIP45.9-3-1SR1-1S installed on them.
After doing a lot of searching I finally found the answer on another site talking about 9971 phones. It seems that in the Line Button settings somewhere in the process Cisco changed the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx setting. With the version of firmware I am using the setting REQUIRES you to use USECALLMANAGER. Once I changed the IP to USECALLMANAGER both the 7965G phones registered and starting working!!
Now I just have to figure out how to add the variable so when configuring a 7965 you don’t have to manually edit the SEP file.
Hope this helps someone else that is trying to install Cisco phones with 9x firmware.
As in explicitly placing the text “USECALLMANAGER” in that field? I’ve been racking my brain for over a year attempting to migrate successfuly from an AsteriskNOW 1.7.x to either the 2.x.x or 3.x.x distro, with no luck. The config files (SEP$mac.cnf.xml and XMLDefault.cnf.xml) that are working on the 1.7.x install fail to work in the newer versions. I have another post (http://www.freepbx.org/forum/general-help/unable-to-register-cisco-7962-with-asterisk-11-server) detailing my issue. Thanks.
The “USECALLMANAGER” issue has to do with version 9 of the Cisco Firmware. Not sure what the first version was that requires it, but I am running version 9-3-1SR4-1S on all 7941G and 7965G phones and they worked fine once I changed the proxy field to “USECALLMANGER”
As for the password noted in your post, I found that the FreePBX OSS Endpoint manager was assigning a 32 bit password and that didn’t work. I manually changed to a 9 bit password and the phones then registered. I no longer use OSS for the final setup of the phones. I use OSS to create the initial file, then I edit one of my working SEP files to match what I need for the new phone/extension and replace the file that was created by OSS.
See my post http://www.freepbx.org/comment/260032#comment-260032
Sorry, forgot to put the < code > tags… so trying again!