OpenVPN ping restart and timeouts

Did anyone else lose VPN connectivity to their remote phones a few weeks ago? One day our trunk and VPN connections all went down. Both were working the day before but when I cam in the next morning both were down. I was able to get the trunk back up after messing around with settings but the VPN never came back.

I recreated all new certificates in case it was similar to the expiration bug that was introduced in a package a couple months back. Deleted all the clients and added them back. Did a fresh cert install on the phone since I recreated the server certs.

It appears to connect and it shows a connection on the phone and on the server. I am unable to register this phone when I route it through the VPN. Then I get the following in the /var/log/messages logs after exactly four minutes.

May 6 09:38:13 pbx2 openvpn: Thu May 6 09:38:13 2021 client12/x.x.x.x:32188 [client12] Inactivity timeout (–ping-restart), restarting
May 6 09:38:13 pbx2 openvpn: Thu May 6 09:38:13 2021 client12/x.x.x.x:32188 SIGUSR1[soft,ping-restart] received, client-instance restarting

Any ideas on what to look at?

I figured it out. It turns out it was only partially connecting. I disabled the VPN server deleted all the clients and started fresh. Now it works.

I wonder if all the updates I installed this morning fixed it and I just needed to start over to get clean certs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.