OpenVOX A400P 2 FXS 1 FXO and DAHDI Helper Module

I am stupid. Let me explain.

Many months ago I built a new FreePBX systems and at the time of build and installation of the Distro, I had an OpenVox A400P card installed with 2 FXS modules and 1 FXS module. I added the card “just because I had it”, to continue to learn and to plug in an old phone as a ‘backup’ phone. I have not FXO connection so nothing critical.

After the reboot, the card worked perfectly for many months and through upgrading to FreePBX Distro 10.13.66-6 which I am currently on. I never enabled or disabled the DAHDI helper module. I would just close the warning screen. I could see my analog ports etc. Again, worked perfectly

Today I am reading on the forums about people with problems with their card and DAHDI and the DAHDI helper module. I thought, well… let’s try some of this stuff and see what happens when I enable the module.

I did and nothing works. I have Googled and searched and I find information dating way back but nothing appearing relevant to setting up the DAHDI helper module. The WIKI states that I should see my card being discovered. I didn’t. So in trying to see how this module is supposed to help (hasn’t helped yet), I set some of the configs as WCTDM and still nothing ever helps! Never see’s the card, DAHDI won’t start and generally asterisk fails to restart.

So… before I remove the helper module, how in the world or even where in the world will I find current information on how to use the helper module, what module with what card, what sequence of modules to load, or should I just uninstall the helper module and go for a manual config the good old fashioned way?

And doing a manual config will be relearning experience!

Thanks for any help in this long winded post.

John

Hi!

You don’t…

As far as I know, this is what makes DADHi configuration files based on the configuration you made in FreePBX.

If you disable/remove it, you have to manually configure your card outside of FreePBX and if it is active it will overwrite the configuration you have made outside of FreePBX…

If you have a Sangoma card you can also do something similar by turning off the DAHDi mode in FreePBX to give you back control over its configuration files.

Now was it useful to start yet another DAHDi thread to ask this, I am not sure… There are already quite a few of those for what seems to be the same problem and I have opened a ticket about it.

Good luck and have a nice day,

Nick

Thanks Nick!

Was it useful to start another thread on this you ask? Yes! By all means. As your answer, “you don’t” was one of the most current and succinct answers I found.

Manual config it is… actually, I’ll just gather up those files from a backup or pull the card. OR…

Uninstall the module and all should be good… and it was/is.

John

Hi John!

There was recently a module update of dahdi-config which was supposed to fix this problem but did not for me.

Do you think that you could possibly check if it does for you please?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nick

Marbled,

I’ll have some time to mess with it later this week/weekend and I will let you know.

John

Hi John!

Looks like the problem is still present for others, I suggest you don’t unless you are willing to have a non-working config for sure…

Thank you very much for your help!

Nick

Thanks Nick! Appreciate it. Just seems that if you enable it for writing, it shouldn’t change or overwrite any files until you click the save button. Even though there is a big warning, some people, like me, just can’t keep our fingers off such a button. Not a big deal to repair however.

John

It doesn’t. You’d have to understand the underlying functionality of DAHDi to know why it was doing this

I question where you are coming up with this? In the ticket ( http://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-10859 ) You state:

It’s the middle of the night here and I just saw one of your message and I retried again to see if I could see where it stops…
I don’t get it, it seems to work now…

Hi Andrew!

I wrote in this thread at about 9 pm last night and I wrote in the ticket at about 2 am later that night…

It definitely seems to work now but I am not quite sure how things got fixed because I tried multiple reboots and it didn’t work and the last thing I did was what I wrote in the ticket, I manually started only the Asterisk process using an old style “/etc/init.d/asterisk start”…

The reboots did not fix anything and I don’t see why starting the Asterisk process that way fixed things…

Thank you very much for your help and have a nice day!

Nick

Andrew, You’re correct. I need to attend another OTTS. It’s been many years and I stopped studying some of the stuff I usually don’t use.

Nick, I have had no problems with a reboot after the latest module update… but didn’t have any issues before until I decided to play and learn some more.

John