[OFFTOPIC] How do you handle Security / Fire Alarm systems

I know it varies from area to area. However how do you guys handle alarm systems and Fire Alarm systems monitoring when you convert clients to SIP trunking.

We have run into it a few times now and we need a solution. We can use the Cisco SPA ATA’s for alarm systems but for fire rules are a little more complex. You need 2 POTS lines or Cellular however some companies are slamming our clients with outrageous cellular monitoring charges ($80+ per system on top of the normal cost)

I was trying to look for a cellular 4G ATA to use with it but i am not having a ton of luck. After hours of searching i found a few things but nothing i completely trust or is cost effective.

Are you looking for GSM or CDMA, and what “cost effective” means in your opinion? Would you mind describing a little over this rules?

Either. GSM seems to be more popular with ATT, TMobile, Sprint, etc. And cost effective is $200-400

I think the law state you need 2 connections for a fire panel.

Options are, Pick any 2.
Analog dialton
Internet
Cell Phone
Long Range Radio (good luck finding this one)

My issue is with sending the signal over VoIP. When sending contactID you would think we wouldn’t have an issue because the panel is sending DTMF tones, but at the end of the transmission a kiss off signal is sent and this doesn’t transmit over VoIP very well. For me, I gave up on sending contactID over VoiP. I use Internet with cellphone as a backup. The cellphone backup is 5.00 or less more per month from your central station.

1 Like

Alarm/FirePanel/Modem/ATM/PostMeters etc. is where t38modem and a real t38 vsp comes in handy.

1 Like

T38Modem? Any suggestions for that. I do know my SIP provider does have a system they can put us on that is designed for true faxing and t38 signaling. I was talking to them and they said that they have a re-seller that uses them strictly for alarm systems.

Just check this GSM Gateway out that might suit: http://www.openvox.cn/products/voip-gateways/176/64/3g-gateway/wgw1002g-detail.html. I’ve used them a couple of times. Not a bad choice.

Sorry for my dumb question but may i ask why 4G, the one i mentioned above is not 4G by the way.

Find it for your OS, build it, and connect it to your Provider, (On Debian like things, even a Rasperry Pi, just apt-get install t38modem)

T38modem works as a “virtual modem” in tandem with your VSP, it provides a solid connection based TCP connection to their gateway, that will connect forward to any analog device connected on a G711 basis. You can accept or deny non Fax calls , i.e. data , as you start the modems up, you don’t need Asterisk nor FreePBX to do any of this, just a non-lying VSP :wink: but you will need a hardware that gateways your RJ12 analog hardwrae to a sip (or h323) network device.

Be aware that many hardware providers AdemCo for example will onnly indemnify if you connect to a UL rated “phone line” anything voip won’t be acceptable., so generally you will also need a copper pair (that melts in a fire :slight_smile: ) as well.

Also be aware that any udp/GSM/CDMA protocol, whichare essentially “connectionless” might well cost you "Sh*tLoads, and can not pass Ademco protoco as previously notedl)

I thought that T.38 just send redundant UDP packets? I didn’t realize there was a TCP option for it. How would that be enabled in FreePBX?

to use T38 for my carrier I’m told to have g711 and g729a turn on and I need to have g729a as the one I request 1st.
Have any idea why?
Have you used ThinQ

g729 and fax don’t work together. If they support t38 at the sdp packet that will get from your box they should detect that you are using t38 and switch to that. The codec order doesn’t matter.

1 Like