Notification that called party is on the phone

For internal calls, is there any way for the calling party to be notified that the called party is on the phone? I know that the calling phone could have the called phone as a BLF key and then the user would know before placing the call. But we have more extensions than we can add as BLF keys. It would be great that if the called party was busy, their phone would ring, but somewhere on the calling phone’s display it would say “User on the phone, ringing” or something like that.

We have a user who insists our old Inter-Tel system did something like that.

We currently use Yealink SIP-T48S phones.

Thank you!!

This sounds like a custom busy context. I’m sure it could be done, but I’m not going to even guess how you would instantiate it.

Since I’m just throwing out ideas - place a call to a busy extension and see what happens in /var/log/asterisk/full. If the phone replies “busy”, then you modify the existing busy context to execute the context that would make whatever you need to have happen, happen.

Simple. :slight_smile:

There are, of course, flies in this ointment. For one, you will have to have a mechanism in place that knows you are ringing the second line appearance (which might be phone specific). There are certainly more - probably lots more.

It’s an open-source system, though, so feel free to start coding and let us know how it goes.

I was going to say “Like a busy signal?”

If only, lol.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.