Nothing is logged to /var/log/asterisk/full after a new installation

Hi,

We have installed asterisk with Freepbx, and everything is running fine, but the asterisk messages are not being logged in /var/log, in fact nothing i sbeing written to that file. Calls are logged fine to MySQL. I thought it was maybe because /var/log/asterisk/full was not created, so i created it, gave it 777 permissions, but that did not solve the problem.

I added /etc/logrotate.d/asterisk with the following content

/var/log/asterisk/*_log
/var/log/asterisk/debug
/var/log/asterisk/messages
/var/log/asterisk/full {
weekly
minsize 50M
rotate 3
missingok
compress
delaycompress
notifempty
sharedscripts
postrotate
/usr/sbin/asterisk -rx ‘logger reload’ > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
endscript
}

and restarted asterisk but that did not solve it.

/etc/asterisk/logger.conf has a freepbx warning not to edit the content of that file, and has all lines commented out.

I installed the ‘asterisk logfiles’ module in freepbx hoping that may switch something on, but it didn’t either.

Where do I switch logging on?
Thanks for your help,

Tim

FreePBX 2.9.0.7
asterisk 1.8.8.1
centos 6.2 / 32bit

You need to create the log file entries for Asterisk. logger.conf includes different files that you can write to. They are the custom.conf files.

Hi,

thanks for the comment. The file is already created, and has 777 permissions. It wasn’t created, but I created it as described above, and restarted asterisk. is it the same who is owner of the files if permissions are 777?

Thanks,
Tim

Or do a brand new installation, as Tony just fixed the bug that caused this in the first place. :slight_smile:

If you choose to fix it manually, get to a command prompt on your linux box (I find that using a Windows program called “putty” is the easiest because it is easy to cut and paste) and do the following:

nano /etc/asterisk/logger_general_custom.conf

Add the following lines:

dateformat=%F %T

Hit CTRL-X, Yes, ENTER.

then:

nano /etc/asterisk/logger_logfiles_custom.conf

Add the following lines:

; Format is “filename” and then “levels” of debugging to be included:
; debug
; notice
; warning
; error