Not Understanding the FreePBX/Asterisk

Then I advise you to use your resources to rebuild that system properly. A router that doesn’t route is not very much, well , a router :slight_smile:

Call that baby step 1 and relegate my original step 1 to step 2.

First, I have to find out why my split DNS isn’t working on pfSense…bummer!

And that is probably better taken to the pfsense fora. We expect to see you after you do that successfully.

2 Likes

Yet, when I check mirrorlist.sangoma.net from pfSense side using the same exact interface I get this so freepbx is not out the woods as the cause.

but it is NOT available from the device that needs it as you saw for yourself. Please stop blaming anyone one but yourself or expect anyone to waste anymore time tilting with your self built windmill.

A) fix your router and you will see it working
B) Replace it with a $35 bestbuy linksys device and you will see it working
C) default the f*&er, RTFM and you will see it working.

2 Likes

Well, it looks as if I’ll be spending hopefully less then $35…my Lenovo on-board NIC is stuck on itself doing DNS…It’s grayed out when I plugged my laptop in so that’s why the traceroute ended there…bummer. So, Freepbx will be down for a week until the New NIC comes in…bummer!

It is just NOT your nic,believe me, it is your badly configured name service, likely uninstall bind and or dnsmasq and reinstall one or the other correctly. if you are using /etc/hosts, fix that first if you are using your Boss for resolution, you HAVE to fix that too.

Just when through my storage and found an Intel 82575 dual so, I’ll drop that it and see.

DGA, it is also a layer 2 device (ethernet) and will know nothing about layer 3 (ip routing) either.

Peehaps you should rename this thread more generically “Not understanding linux”

1 Like

I had reinstalled freepbx but I could only choose Asterisk 18; so, first thing I did was to do the version switch however Asterisk 19 didn’t show up. If I go back down to 17 can I go to 19 from there?

probably but not directly, that path will need a working router though, do you have one yet?

Well, I got things lined up and on Asterisk 18.10 LTS as well as registered but the version switch still doesn’t present version 19 option…what happened? Need special repository?

You haven’t done system updates.

But there is probably no need for Asterisk 19, running the latest LTS version is a pretty good practice.

Yes, that’s what I realize and just came back to share it’s done.

So, it turns out that I gain a better understanding of FreePBX/Asterisk as well as the root cause of the problem a NIC got stuck on itself. I also learned how to set up Htek phones for SIP TCP/TLS. I had to a clean install of both pfSense and FreePBX between last night and early this morning…the more one does it; the better one learns the software. The next step is to learn how to back up unto a jump drive to easily restore one’s configuration…wished FreePBX was as easy as pfSense when it comes to back up and restoring the configuration like one click on the webgui to download the entire configuration. So, I’ll finish to FreePBX configuration later and will have a working phone by tonight.

Thank you all for the guidance and for putting up with my emotional drama learning a new complex software…it’s well appreciated.

Mostly little more than two clicks and fill in the blanks needed, you will need a working ‘filestore’ (first click, then lots of options one of which could be using ssh(scp) to your pfsense, using a ‘local’ filestore to a jumpdrive likely would need udev rules to make sure you use the right thumbdrive, if it’s a permanently mounted device, it will be easier to use a UUID mount in /etc/fstab ) then admin->backup and restore (second click, then filling in the blanks). Rinse and repeat for secondary and more backups.

All this better covered in the Wiki

Backup and Restore is SUPER easy. One click is all it takes when your in Backup and Restore under Admin menu… Now, you do have to configure Filestore as @dicko mentioned… Once you have your Filestore location setup… you simply click 1 button every time you want to run a backup…

If you choose to setup a local Filestore… You one-click backup…then go to Restore tab and click download. You now have a backup downloaded onto your PC… I do this before and after updates every few weeks, but at least 1x per month for all the deployments I manage

1 Like

Not to mention that all backups can be scheduled, so no ‘clicking’ needed, they are always on and even if you totally hose your gooey, then there is ‘method’ to restore from a shell provided that you didn’t hose the underlying OS, even if you managed to do that then a reinstalled FreePBX can STILL restore it’s state if as a wise virgin you previously provisioned an off-site filestore.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.