No GUI

I went to login to my FreePBX console to check for updates and run a backup job and this pops up…

What the heck happened??

MySQL Problem? Try running this via CLI.

service mysqld stop
mv /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock.bak
service mysqld start

That did it. I’m assuming the mysql.sock file was corrupt in some way and we forced mysql to create a new one? If so, what does that file do?

Thanks!

The correct way to fix this forever is to run:
yum install mysql-init-fixer

mysql.sock is not a file. It is a socket. If the server losses power or is forced off somehow then the socket is not cleaned up. Upon reboot or restart mysql looks to see if there is a socket open which is how it determines if it’s already running, because the socket already exists it refuses to start

mysql-init-fixer will fix this for you forever.

I see. Thank you!

Happened to me too few days ago, it was like an unexpected “kick in the butt” (don’t know if it was after a failed Backup - NFS mount point wasn’t available - or if it happened overnight due to a system power outage): I solved using the methods reported above.

Just a side note:

The package “mysql-init-fixer” wasn’t included in FreePBX Distro 5.211.65-6…shouldn’t be yet installed with the -6 minor release revision upgrade?

I ask that because I’ve read both this Forum comment (14 January 2014) and this FreePBX Distro Ticket 61 (14 January 2014) (which was fixed and closed on the same date) so, considering that I upgraded a FreePBX Distro from 5.211.65-5 to 5.211.65-6 on 14 February 2014 and the FreePBX Distro 5.211.65-6 was released on 25 January 2014 (so well after that Ticket was closed), shouldn’t that package be yet included to be installed with the -6 minor release revision upgrade script?

The 5.211.65-6 upgrade script reports a time-stamp 19 February 2014.

It’s not included, please open a ticket on that and make sure the assignee is tony.

Just added this <a href=http://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FPBXDISTRO-61?focusedCommentId=58976&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-58976>comment to the relevant closed Ticket.