No CallerID on Unattended Transfer

We completed moving a clients system to a new deployment which also moved them from Asterisk 11 to Asterisk 13. The new system is fully updated FreePBX, 6.12.65-26, Asterisk 13.2.0 with VVX310 phones. As far as we can see the settings are 100% identical on each server yet the client is complaining that when they perform an unattended transfer the caller ID shows as the extension its coming from and not the outside callerID. They stated it always worked on the previous server and we can’t figure this out.

Is this a bug?

Tried changing both of these extension settings but neither made a difference

Tried changing these advance settings but that didn’t work either

We can’t figure this out and our client is complaining so we opened a bug report:

Is anyone else having this issue or is it just us?.. we have a client that’s really beating us up on this issue and I just want to make sure it’s not something on our end.

This works fine for me on my test machines using both PJSIP and SIP and not making any changes to trustrpid. Though you’ve provided zero logs, both here and in the ticket.

Andrew I will post the ticket response here also in hopes that it will help the community:

Andrew sorry for the lack of logs…wasn’t really sure what to send and still learning… BUT after reading your comments I just finished some tests. I registered a grandstream phone and did a transfer to a VVX310 and the caller ID WORKED. We then tried pressing ## before doing a transfer from polycom VVX to polycom VVX and it worked. I would try updating the firmware on the phones to see if that fixes it but somehow the test phone I did now has no GUI web access… still trying to figure that out

1 Like