Newbie Linux and FreePBX/Trixbox user backed into a corner

I have been tasked with building and configuring a Trixbox/FreePBX box [my second Linux box; I come from a Windows shop] with two modems. The version of the software is System Status Version: 2.6.1.3, and the version I’m running on is CentOS release 5 (Final).

I’ve done a bit on an already configured Trixbox and know how to make extensions and some of the other via-the-gui things, and I have that one and another Trixbox I can look at for configuration information, but the one with a modem is a much older version and I didn’t set either of these other ones up, so I’m at a loss as to how to proceed.

Trixbox sees both modems under System > system info; I’ve run ztcfg -vvvvvvvv and I get
Zaptel Version: 1.4.11
Echo Canceller: OSLEC
Configuration

Channel map:

Channel 03: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 03)

1 channels to configure.

ZT_CHANCONFIG failed on channel 3: No such device or address (6)

How exactly do I get Trixbox/FreePBX to use the modems - one for each line it needs to support?

To start, the use of fax/data modems is not recommended nor is used by anyone.

the reason for this is that modems work on the basis of IRQ for every chunk of data, which when scaled to 4 lines, will absolutely bagger the prosesor to death!

You should look to invest in ‘asterisk connectivity hardware’ which are manufactured by several vendors.

If you require further assistance, don’t hesitate to post.

At the same time you’ll probably want to pick a better supported distro like AsteriskNow, PBX-in-a-Flash, elastix, etc.

The big issue with trixbox is they are slow to release security patches specially on older setups (not a issue this second and that version but want 6 months and it will be), at the same time they have forked FreePBX for there own reasons and changed many things like the version numbers, and mirror location to there own site. This causes issues as you can’t use things here because the version numbers will be out of sync (5.5 is customized 2.5 code without releasing the customizations to the developers here). also it’s been known that the mirror they use does not have all the modules you might be expecting.

So if you are new to the whole game you might want to look at something this community can more easily support then trixbox.