New open source SMS Connector module

What would you need to add Twillio? I’ve done some programming (php, sql, VB, etc.) in my day and can read the files, but don’t have any experience working in webhooks.

1 Like

New version released with Twilio and some small improvements.

5 Likes

Awesome and amazing!

@billsimon we don’t have php skills in house, but is there options to help donate a few dollars to your cause?

Hi @billsimon,
Have you talked to the FreePBX developers so that the module can be uploaded to their repository and be accessible from the module administration?

If they do that I would be shocked as we tried to get them to include a similar module we wrote years ago that would allow other providers to do SMS officially in FreePBX and they rejected us and a few other partners who tried by stating it was in competition with them and told us all to use VoIP Innovations hosted messaging instead. @lgaetz has this official stance changed now since you have liked this thread and even made it a sticky post.

2 Likes

New version with great contributions by @vsc55; many thanks!

Among other things he has brought the module up to current FreePBX display norms and made better use of kvstore where I had used a db table.

Because there was a change in the schema if you were testing an older version and install the current (16.0.4beta) you will have to re-enter your provider keys and reassign your number in the module. (No table migration, sorry, it’s still just beta :slight_smile: )

Also @vsc55 made the providers more modular so that adding a new provider is done by creating a class for sending and a script for receiving. Thanks again for these improvements.

2 Likes

Also interested to know if this could be incorporated if @billsimon agreed. Like how dynamic routes found its way in.

1 Like

Thanks for helping with this project @vsc55! This is exactly what we have been looking for as “simply” switching to Sangoma for SIP is a non-starter, while customers need this function.

Hi @comtech, It is a pleasure to lend a hand where possible.

1 Like

Yes, I would be glad for Sangoma to host this module if there is interest, and I understand if there is not. (No hard feelings; it’s just business!)

Even if it’s not hosted on the Sangoma mirror there is a way to integrate it into the updates system and it can remain hosted on github: Sangoma Documentation

Then only the initial install has to be done by specifying a full URL and after that, it will know where it came from and look for updates there.

3 Likes

I’d love to hear the logic behind not allowing this module into the project. Because right now everything is pointing to the logic of it takes away revenue from our subsidiaries . Also considering the growing view of those outside (and even inside) this community that FreePBX really isn’t an open source project anymore. It’s more like a Freemium project since most of the key or important things you would want to do would require commercial modules.

Just take a look at basic setup of FreePBX. If you have no clue how to setup a Linux system for SMTP you’re stuck having to use the Distro and buy System Admin just to have basic configuration access. That’s a bit of BS right there. Always has been and continues to be.

So I think this will be interesting to watch consider that back when Andrew was the lead his basic response to anything critical of FreePBX or the lack of development in certain areas was either “Stocks are up” or “Hey, contributions are welcome”.

Guess we’ll finally see how welcome contributions are.

2 Likes

I’m not personally aware of a single FreePBX code contribution that was rejected provided it worked as expected, was licensed correctly and was contributed by a user with a CLA on file. I’m sure there is much history of which I know nothing and won’t comment on.

The oft stated, “contributions welcome” remains as the policy.

Lorne

Are you sure on this statement. I have email threads from your former VP of Open Source Jared Smith that state the direct opposite when ourselves and 2 partners of Sangoma both asked to get their SMS module included into FreePBX we were all told that our patches were not welcomed as they competed with Sangoma commercial offering from SIPStation and VoIP Innovations.

The current SMS module is licensed commercial so nobody can actually submit a patch to add their own SMS. The only way is to write your own module like ourselves and others including Bill Simon have now done. Are you saying we can now submit these modules into FreePBX and you will not reject them as long as the CLA is on file?

Is your work open-source? Can you share it?

I’m going to guess that, yes they are. If these were commercial modules this be a different conversation as commercial can’t be contributed directly into OSS FreePBX.

1 Like

I’m just a little confused that anyone here would be complaining about matters regarding open source code. What does it really take to release an open source module other than posting it on the web and telling people where to get it? But there was nothing out there that integrated SMS like this, so that’s why I wrote this module. I was aware of Tony’s Clearly Trunking module but that is neither open nor provider-agnostic. I don’t know of any other work that connects third-party providers to FreePBX SMS subsystem.

If there’s open source work for connecting other providers I think we have an opportunity here to integrate them together.

2 Likes

It’s not really about open source code but about open source code that can be accessed from Sangoma repositories and their distribution media. Sangoma (as did Digium) require a licence to use open source parts of FreePBX in their, non-open source products, the CLA. They could also apply other policies, with a commercial basis, as to what they include.

Woohoo greenlight @billsimon

Can you share the emails?