New FreePBX install

Tomorrow I plan on spending a few hours trying to set up a new FreePBX install on a new server and making that the main server. In the past, I have had issues with this:

1. Wildcard TE122 Card not turning green. Not turning on at all. (Any thoughts?)
  2. Digium phones not pulling an IP address from the new machine. (Do I need to install DHCP via yum)
  3. Restore from old machine not working. All of the files pull over, but because of the above issues, the server is not in working condition.

My main reason of wanting to do this, is to use voicemail to email. Our current phone system is not connected to the internet, so it can not use this. I bought an USB to Ethernet adaptor but can’t seem to figure out how to get it to work on the old machine.

I know this is a lot. But I have no clue what I’m doing when setting up this new machine.

There is no DHCP server on a Distro install by default. There is a DHCP feature of System Admin Pro (paid) that can do that, but you are better off (IMO) to have a separate DHCP server.

If you set up a 15 PBX and restore a backup from a previous version, it should work. 15 is the first version that allows restore from legacy backup.

Thank you for this. I will let you know more tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Any idea of the Wildcard TE122? Anything special I need to do with it?

Lorne -

Would you confirm that the best practice would be to ensure any active/paid modules on the source also be be active/installed on the target? I just attempted to restore Announcements/Sounds/IVR’s to a new v15 system and ended up not being able to make calls and other strange issues since the v15 deployment didn’t yet have all the models moved from the old deployment.

Maybe it was something unrelated, just couldn’t figure it out and had to restore the backup I took before doing the v13 => v15 restore.

DAHDI is not part of FreePBX or Asterisk, per se. You will need to find and compile a version of DAHDI that supports your card and connects to Asterisk. Once you get through the dahdi config tools, I recommend you lock the ports down by hand and disable the DAHDI manager in FreePBX. Once it’s running, there is no reason to mess with it again until it breaks, and then fixing by hand is still easier than trying to use the FreePBX DAHDI interface.

So, for example:

I have the DAHDI config files from my old system. Could I just copy those over?

Also, then are you saying do NOT use the DAHDI module in FreePBX?

I’ve noticed that anytime I’ve run the dahdi config command from the command line, it’s said that it doesn’t detect any sangoma cards or something like that.

To my knowledge, this bit is a mess. You either break your old system or buy them a second time for the destination system.

Yeah. If those cards and configs worked together before, they should work now.

I’m not saying “Don’t”. I’m saying that once you get it working (and the manual tools are usually the way to do that) then letting anyone with an admin account mess with your DAHDI stuff is almost always a mistake. At least, it is in my experience (and I’m the only one with an admin account).

Not detecting a Sangoma card isn’t that unusual if you don’t have Sangoma cards. The trick is to get the dahdi software to recognize the card and get it going. It’s been a long time since I’ve played around with DAHDI, but IIRC there should be a driver for your card that needs to be loaded.

Is the machine seeing the card? Log in as ‘root’ and use ‘dmesg | more’ to make sure the card is getting picked up in POST.

@cynjut @lgaetz okay, I got the new machine to recognize the card. Now, the issue is that my phone is not registering. I don’t know where to start with this.

It picks up an IP address but does not register.

You’re going to have to be more specific on this. Which phone and where is it supposed to be registering? Is it local? What kind? What errors are you seeing in the /var/log/asterisk/full log file?

[2020-04-23 17:44:15] NOTICE[2641] res_pjsip/pjsip_distributor.c: Request ‘REGISTER’ from ‘“117” sip:[email protected]’ failed for ‘10.0.0.94:5060’ (callid: VC2Cfr2zNVayfiphRFloFA1UqNpgeYjK) - No matching endpoint found

It is a digium D40 phone.

This is the error you get when you set the phone up in the Chan-SIP Extensions module and then try to access it on the PJ-SIP (typ. 5060) port.

Okay. So, my old system Chan-SIP on port 5060. Is that not correct then?

Now, I’m not getting any logs when trying to register another phone. GAH

PJ-SIP is now the default SIP Channel Driver. so it lives on port 5060. Chan-SIP now lives on port 5160.

You can go into the Advanced SIP Settings and change the ports around or you can set the extensions up in the PJ-SIP extension configuration to get them to connect. From your phones’ perspective, the channel driver doesn’t really make any difference (they are both SIP) but the options and configuration settings for the two drivers are different.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.