Need Voice Mail to pick up when you dial your own extention

I have a group of Polycom 550 Phones that have a “Messages” button on them, that when pressed, it calls itself expecting to get connected to voicemail.

I did a bit of poking around and found this on voip-info:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+Polycom+IP+500

Basically it says:

To get the Messages button on the Soundpoint IP 500 to connect directly to Voicemail you can configure your dialplan as follows:

exten => _14XX,1,GotoIf($["${CALLERIDNUM}" = “${EXTEN}”]?2:3)
exten => _14XX,2,VoicemailMain(${EXTEN})
exten => _14XX,3,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN},20,t)
exten => _14XX,4,Voicemail(${EXTEN}@vmcontext)

Well that’s great and all, but how do I do that with FreePBX? Do I just manually edit the conf files? Or is there someway to make FreePBX realize that an extension is calling itself?

I would think that you need to add it to your extensions_custom.conf since FreePBX overwrites your extensions.conf when you update.

I need to know how to get the polycom ip550 message button to work in FreePBX version 2.7.0.10 I need the code above to be placed somewhere, but i do not know where. I am a bit of a noob to this whole thing so I did a search first and was really excited to see this post. Alas there was no new information here

Did you try putting the above in your extensions_custom.conf as stated?

The problem is that extension_custom.conf is a file that is updated by the gui. So the changes I make will not stay in there. Any other thought?

That’s incorrect. It is extensions.conf that is updated by the gui. extensions_custom.conf is not. If it was, my system would be completely inoperable as it completely depends on the configurations in extensions_custom.conf in order to properly integrate with our legacy system.

I still had the verbiage on my screen from extensions.conf. Ok so I made the changes to the extensions_custom.conf file. In place of the 14xx above a put my extension 410. Is there anything else? Do i need to restart the server after i make this change?

probably at least need to reload dialplan. I have never used this script, but it looks like it should work.

You don’t need any custom code to have the Polycom go to it’s mailbox. The Endpoint manager automatically generates the correct code for the messages button. If you are programming manually you just have to put the *97 code and the MWI subscription info.

How do I restart the dial plan? What is the command?

It won’t do what you expect, it’s not compatible with FreePBX. FreePBX automatically knows your extension. Just dial *97 and you will see for yourself.

You need to map *97 to the messages button in the Polycom config and subscribe to the MWI for your extension.

apparently you don’t need this script at all for a Polycom phone. Read the post from SkykingOH right above your last comment.

Where do I find the MWI subscription info on the phone?

Thanks guys for your help YAY!!!