Need to ring to nowhere

I’m studying up on Asterisk coding when I have time. I need to do something now though that can’t wait until I get to learning it. Maybe you guys can help me out. I’m hoping this is simple.

I need to make a phantom extension that rings nowhere. It has to actually ring, not answer and play back ringtone. I tried figuring this out from some other posts but I got nowhere. I’m afraid I need this spelled out.

The scenario is a doorbox that rings to several places simultaniously, one is on the FreePBX system and the other two are not.

It rings in to a Time Condition. During certain hours I want it to ring a certain extension but at other hours I want it to ignore the call and let it be answered by the other non-FreePBX destinations. If the system answers and plays ringback it will stop ringing at the other destinations which doesn’t help me. Hence, the Hangup/Play Ringtone option doesn’t work here. I need a phantom/virtual extension to direct the Time Condition to that just keeps ringing without answering.

Can anyone help me do that?

Thanks!

Set the destination as “terminate call: Play ringtones to caller until they hang up”

Thanks for the reply.

That option answers the call and just plays ringtone audio. Since I need it to continue ringing at the other destinations that option won’t work here.

I edited my original post to spell that out right before I noticed your reply. :grinning:

Create an Announcement with Don’t Answer Channel set to Yes, consisting of a sufficient length of silence/music/whatever (the doorbox won’t play it).

That actually sounds like a fantastic idea.

I created and uploaded a 5 minutes sound file with just silence. I created an announcement with that sound file and the Don’t Answer option set to yes. I need to go onsite before I start messing with the Time Conditions. I may still be able to go tonight but it might have to wait for tomorrow. I’ll let you know if it worked.

Thanks!

That seems to have worked! Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.