Need to change to a new network, where do I start?

So we are changing our networks from Comcast to ATT and are starting with a Class A network instead of a Class C.

We have a fully configured PBXact 100 (PBX version 14.0.13.4 and system version 12.7.6) and we have to change it over. Where do we start? Changing the address on the interfaces? I don’t want to start in the wrong place and end up not being able to get access to it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

You mean internally right? You’re changing your internal LAN from a /24 to a /8? I mean this isn’t a FreePBX question. This is a networking question. What issues are you have from moving from a /24 to a /8?

I apologize for not being more elaborate.

Yes internally. We are going from a 192.168.1.0/24 to a 10.1.14.1/24.

I’m looking for the best place to start making the transfer. I know how to change most of the settings, but where to start is the big question. I don’t want to end up changing something that could keep me from getting back into the pbx

OK so you’re moving from one /24 to another /24. Class C = /24 (256 IPs), Class A = /8 (over 16M IPs) so there is a big difference.

You literally just change everything from 192.168.1.x to 10.1.14.x in your systems. Most the stuff will probably be DHCP anyways but where you have static IPs you could just change the first three octets and keep the same last octet. So 192.168.1.3 becomes 10.1.14.3 and where ever the gateway is listed as 192.168.1.1 you change to 10.1.14.1.

This is very basic network stuff that is not related to the PBX at all.

In the PBX, you’re saying to just switch everything that has anything to do with the 192 network to the 10 network? In the Network Settings, the Asterisk Sip settings, the firewall, etc.? I didn’t think it could be that easy

Before you start, it would be wise to ensure you have console access in case it’s needed.

Use this wiki page to set up a console cable and terminal:
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/FreePBX+System+60+and+100+Recovery

Thank you Lorne,

I have access to the console.

1 Like

Don’t worry about it. I’m just going to send in a ticket for some help. Thank you

I’m not saying “No”, but there are places in the system that need to be adjusted as well.

The “simplest” solution (he says, knowing it isn’t really that simple) is to dump your extension and trunk configurations and install a new version of the software on a new server. Set it up and import your extensions and your trunks and away you go.

Within the configuration, you’ll need to make sure you change anyplace that hardcoded a server address (like in the SIP settings) gets switched over to your new address. The place most likely to pull you up short are things like network specific ACLs (which are uncommon) or specific address allocations (for things in your DHCP or Firewall, which are more likely). @BlazeStudios is right that most of this is just networking stuff, but there are a few places that will catch you if you just jump in without thinking or planning.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.