My MoH playing back to me when I'm on hold

If I call a cell phone and he takes a call waiting beep, I hear my own MoH. That isn’t so bad, except in a conference call, if any user takes a “click,” the server’s MoH plays to the entire conference.

How do I stop that?

It’s working as designed. The problem is common on many conferencing platforms and has been an issue for many, many years.

Your choices are pretty radical.

1. No call waiting.
  2. No putting people on hold.
  3. No MOH.

Of the three, I’d say #2 is preferable. Simply remind everyone that putting a conference on hold plays your MOH back to the conference, disrupting it.

Some conference servers allow you to mute specific extensions (Webex, for example) and some allow you to kick a participant if they’re being “like that”.

The cell phone person has a call waiting call. Not the person on the PBX. This is not normal at all.

The PBX has no way to know that a remote called party has used a hold feature or anything else.

Is the call coming to the cellphone through a cell carrier or does the user have a SIP client installed on the cell phone?

If you look at the signalling when this happens, you will probably see a SIP INVITE coming from the trunk channel to the PBX when the far end goes on hold. If so, you need to config the trunk to disable reinvites.

2 Likes

I believe I may have a similar issue I’ve experience with some outside calls. I’ll receive a call from someone, and when they put me on hold, I’ll hear our own hold music playing. From what Lorne posted, that makes sense if the Trunk is receiving a SIP invite causing that to happen.

Is there a specific option I would set on a PJSIP to disable that? By default, I only see T as the outbound trunk options. Is this potentially the issue?

Might be a totally different issue, but figured I would ask.

Chris

If you look at the signalling when this happens, you will probably see a SIP INVITE coming from the trunk channel to the PBX when the far end goes on hold. If so, you need to config the trunk to disable reinvites.

Yes, I think that makes sense!

@christrati - I don’t think T affects “hold”. A reinvite informs Asterisk that there is only one active channel in the bridge so it plays MoH.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.