My DAHDi Config FreePBX Module nightmare

Hi All,

I was making a small change to a couple of our branch office freepbx installs on the weekend; whilst doing so, I noticed there was new freepbx module called “DAHDi Config”… being the idiot I am, I figured; sweet, I’ll install that, have a quick play around and see what it does, no biggy?.. that was a big mistake on my part.

Firstly, I have Sangoma Analog cards installed in both these freepbx-distro installs… and I’m guessing isn’t probably the best module to use with that hardware and/or my setup. On one of the distro installs I had setup the analog trunks set as “ZAP Trunk (DAHDi compatibility Mode)” and on the other I set the trunks as “DAHDI Trunk”…

Well, I installed the module on the system that has the trunks as ZAP Trunk (DAHDi compatibility Mode)… it didn’t install properly as came up with a message about retrying… so i did. After that, i noticed another message on the System Status screen about “Symlink From Modules Failed”… First thought was, i’ll reintall the module, if that doesn’t work i’ll uninstall the module and all should be fine… Right, right? I reinstalled the module and still was alerted with the Symlink error… I had a quick look at the “DAHDi Config” module in the connectivity menu and thought, Cool… but the install was now showing an error so removed it straight away… No more Symlink error after the uninstall.

I then decided that was enough computer hacking for one day and i had earnt myself some playtime (xbox) for a while as all was right in the world again… i thought at least

A few hours later i get an email from someone who had logged onto the system that they can’t make or receive calls… “oh s!!t, what have i done”.

After a bit of panicking i got busy trying to find out what the issue was and hopefully fix.

• I tried making a call into the system… nothing was hitting the asterisk log on the inbound call…
  • Tried making an outbound call… and was getting a “all circuits busy” message.
  • went over all the trunks and route and everything was as i left it.
  • took a look at dahdi-channels.conf and somehow was now a complete mess… previously was something along the lines of:

;Sangoma AFT-A200 [slot:2 bus:1 span:1]
    context=from-zaptel
    group=0
    echocancel=yes
    signalling = fxs_ks
    channel => 1

context=from-zaptel
group=0
echocancel=yes
signalling = fxs_ks
channel => 2

but now looked more like:

; Span 1: WRTDM/0 “wrtdm Board 1” (MASTER)
;;; line="1 WRTDM/0/0 FXSKS (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)"
signalling=fxs_ks
callerid=asreceived
group=0
context=from-pstn
channel => 1
callerid=
group=
context=default

;;; line="2 WRTDM/0/1 FXSKS (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)"
signalling=fxs_ks
callerid=asreceived
group=0
context=from-pstn
channel => 2
callerid=
group=
context=default

• I then figured the dahdi config module had changed my file but i would just change it back… so i did, restart the box for good luck but still wasn’t working
  • I re ran the sangoma-setup script… still no joy… “oh no, what have i done”…
  • i then went through lots of steps checking hardware, dahdi, wanpipe etc but couldn’t see what the problem was.
  • In the end, i reinstalled the module (this time with no symlink error) and configured via the browser with the setting i had previously in dahdi-channels.conf (context & group)… i could now make a receive calls again… i had to go in and change the alaw override as also noticed a message about the default had changed… but now all seems working again.

Keeping with the “i’m an idiot” mindset; i decided to test on a box that used “DAHDi Trunk” instead of the “ZAP Trunk (DAHDi compatibility Mode)”… I had all the same install errors and Symlink errors however after the uninstall, the freepbx distro install still could make a receive calls… which i found strange.

So after all this; there was a few lessons re-learnt and also a few questions.

1. Can someone point me to some indepth documentation on how the dahdi config freepbx module works?
  2. Should this module be used sangoma equipment?
  3. should this module only be used if using dahdi trunks and not zap trunks?
  4. Both systems are pretty recent installs (1.814.210.58-1 & 1.815.210.58-1); is it possible the reason one worked after the module install was and the other didn’t is due to one being a more recent distro version?

Anyway, that’s my weekend story for you all and a few questions.

Tarran

Below is a link to the Dahdi module wiki with a download link for the user guide.

http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/F2/DAHDI+Config+UserGuide

Please note to use this Module with Sangoma Cards you need to be on the latest Distro with wanpipe which is only included in the 2.210.62 and 3.211.63 releases.

Thanks for that - must say I do like the new wiki.

ah - good to know. Thanks Tony.