Multiple Dialed Numbers to a single extension?

Hi - I’ve trying to update an older version of asterisk to something a bit newer, and in the process I’m throwing FreePBX into the mix so I can hand it off to someone else a bit more easily. We are a small office, fewer than 10 people, with a single DID and extensions between 101 and 109. An IVR picks up calls and lets the user dial an extension (this much I’ve replicated nicely in FreePBX). But due to a legacy requirement (OK Boomer), the old system is also able translate a single digit to a 3 digit extension. EG dialing ‘3’ will send that call to extension 103.

I achieved that with a paragraph for each extension in extensions.conf:

exten => 3,1,Macro(standardring,103)
exten => 103,1,Macro(standardring,103)
exten => 103#,1,Macro(standardring,103)
exten => 3#,1,Macro(standardring,103)

I know I can do something similar in the IVR Module of FreePBX, but I’m curious if there’s a better way to do this? Any sort of Extension Aliasing or anything like that?

I’d like to minimize the steps for new phone extensions when I hand it off to a new person (and leave the company). Ideally I’d like to minimize calls for help in the future.

Thanks!
Dan

Buy side cars and use BLFs?

I should mention our endpoint hardware is just granstream Voip adapters and normal cordless phones.

Nothing will make this easy or fewer steps because it’s a random custom arbitrary requirement.

Stay within the GUI and not write custom dial plan, use custom/misc destinations

see, this is basically what I was asking. Is this really a unique ‘requirement’? I find it hard to believe we’re the only place in the world that wants to have mutiple paths to reach a single endpoint. custom/misc destinations might be the right choice, but I don’t see a ton of value in them over using the built in IVR functionality for that. Either way, I’m 100% on-board with using the GUI and staying out of conf files, just wondering if I was missing something that was buried deep in the GUI and hadn’t found yet.

thanks for your help

Umm you cannot pick up a phone and push 1 button and dial an extension via an IVR. So that doesn’t do anything for you.

An IVR is a place you get to from an I bond call.

I think you are confused.

You must be a blast at parties.

I clearly stated “an IVR picks up calls”. that implies inbound calls. my IVR handles them. I’ve been running my asterisk server for close to 10 years now. I’m not at all confused by it. I was simply asking if there was a better way to do what I already know is possible. If you don’t know or don’t understand, you can just move on. it’s simple.

In your extensions_custom.conf add lines like

[from-internal-custom]
exten => 1,1,Goto(from-internal,101,1)
exten => 2,1,Goto(from-internal,102,1)

Careful that you don’t spend too much time dialing longer numbers

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.