Multiple Asterisk instances for multiple ips in same machine

we have a dedicated server and want to run a 2nd instance of asterisk mapped to another ip to run a ip-pbx for my brothers office. ideally also with it’s own freepbx frontend too. is this possible and what is the best way to do it ? must i use xen or is it possible just configuring asterisk to do this ?

martin

If you can figure out how to configure “outbound route permissions” and give each company it’s own trunks the billing and reporting could be discreet.

I currently have a scenario where 1 company is emulating a multi-company scenario. It’s easy to use DIDs to send their inbound calls to the right destination (extension, group or IVR).

The challenge I haven’t overcome,…YET,…is to make their outbound traffic choose specific routes and therefore trunks.

Once I get that piece working they can keep all their billing separate with the trunk providers.

On the FreePBX side you can restrict the system administration functions with permission levels and passwords. But,…I don’t think you can keep maintenance discreet,…meaning, whoever adds trunks and extensions and routes can see or change the other company’s stuff.

FreePBX 2.7+ allows you do specify a caller id to match for outbound routes. If you wanted extension 101 and 102 to use the route when calling a 10 digit number you could put NXXNXXXXXX/_10[1-2] as the dial pattern.

You should also take a look at the custom contexts module. It will allow you to setup custom routes and dial rules for each company.

there’s lots of discussion on the PBX in a Flash (PiaF) forum about using either Proxmox virtualized server or VMware running separate instances of Asterisk. PiaF uses FreePBX for the front end.

Another option is to use the a2billing module for multi-tenant PBX.

I have not used multiple IPs and multiple instances of Asterisk. I currently have 2, sudo, multi tenant systems running for 2 different clients.

I think the best way to handle a muti-tenant system is the “route permissions” module and standard inbound DIDs. But there are more than 1 ways to skin a cat.

The cheap and dirty way to do it is to use phones like Grandstream GXP series that support a dial prefix and give each company it’s own prefix to choose an outbound route. Inbound routes handle the rest.

At present I have a 3 tenant system under 1 IP that uses the above, cheap & dirty scheme.