MOH will not play(fixed)

Hello, I’m using aseterisk 1.4 with SIP and g729. and freepbx2.3.0 I have created the moh files with 775;musiconhold_custom.conf
[ReservedMusicFile]
mode=files
directory=/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3/ReservedMusicFile/
random=yes
[default]
mode=files
directory=/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3/
random=yes

created an extension 9000 to hear if it plays but I get the following;

Started music on hold, class ‘default’, on SIP/XXXXXXXXXX-0074fc10
– Stopped music on hold on SIP/XXXXXXXXXX-0074fc10

unfortunately, I ran into this issue a while back fixed it but, forgot to document it. If anyone can help I’ll appreciate it. Thanks.

Just a dumb question - do you have adequate licenses to transcode to g729? (I have never run MoH over g729 so don’t know if there are other issues?)

Philippe Lindheimer - FreePBX Project Lead
http//freepbx.org - IRC #freepbx

Sorry Master, you see, to me it was not a dumb question since I have used it before. I was looking for someone who had such problem and wanted to share in a solution. Will you direct me to or open a new forum to find out whether the question I’m asking is a dumb or smart question and then be able to post. And last I have to apologize, I went back to the forum and i have noticed that all the questions are smart, brilliant questions so, my bad.

tadpole,

Sorry that you got offended but I think that Philippe was calling his question “dumb question” (Philippe, correct me if I’m wrong).
Among a lot of forums I’m reading, Philippe is one of the most decent forum admins. He is doing a great job with FreePBX.

On a side note, can you please make sure that you have the right owner/permission for the moh files:
chown -vR asterisk.asterisk /var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3/ReservedMusicFile
chmod -v 775 /var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3/ReservedMusicFile
chmod -v 664 /var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3/ReservedMusicFile/*

Samy Antoun

I was referring to my question being dumb … sorry if you took it the wrong way.

I did take it the wrong way and for that I apologyze. It did surprise me comming from Philippe. You open up the nice new forum I read in big words “its a dumb question” I did read the rest but , that’s what I understood.

Yes I do have genuine g729 licenses and I was playing raw music files. How or whether this is possible I don’t know but I do know I did not have g729 music files because I had to make them today. So I pickup the phone and I can listen to the features and *98 ask for mailbox number etc, etc. I figure to try with a g729 music file and I got it going that way.

I’m glad it was a misunderstanding no hard feelings on my side and hope to be forgiven by those I offended.

Sorry.

glad it got fixed. Each g729 license will only allow for one channel of transcoding. It sounds like that may have been the case - if there were not enough licenses. However, having the music in g729 format makes the most sense, no point in taxing the CPU to do that, nor burning a license…

Thank you both.