MOH Streaming Sounds like static and distortion

I’m having problems with Music On Hold streaming. I’m quite new to Elastix, Asterisk, and FreePBX. When I try to add my stream from Shoutcast it sounds distorted and/or static and/or ex-x-x-tremely slow. It’s hard to explain, but I do have mpg123 installed.

I don’t think this matters, but from the Music On Hold in unembedded FreePBX, when I click on one of the categories or try and add a new one, it tells me ‘potential security breach’ and I can not continue on. So I’m setting it up from the Elastix.

Any idea what could be causing the distortion. I haven’t found anything that resembles my issue online and would appreciate some guidance.

Sorry Elastix is not supported here, they don’t use a legitimate FreePBX because they forked it all up a couple of years ago. Maybe the can help you there.

hmm, interesting. I understand, thanks for letting me know so I’m not left hanging.

I received a response from this forum and I didn’t get any kind of reply from the other place. Even from support, when I had (still do) a login issue. So I’m putting my resolution here.

It has to do with the line for the application. I thought I had it right to begin with but probably not since it’s working now.

/usr/bin/mpg123 -q -s --mono -r 8000 -f 8192 -b 0 http://ip.add.ress:port

I removed and added each of the commands/options to see what affected the stream. When I removed the -r #### I found an increase in the play speed. I tried 16000, 32000, 64000, 128000. They didn’t seem to improve the speed any more and I believe 128000 didn’t play at all. So I put everything back the way I thought I had it. I googled for the tutorial again and found the command above pasted that in and tried it expecting it not to work. But sure enough it did. I changed the -r #### again and the play back slowed down again. So I’m now leaving it at -r 8000.

If anyone knows how I can improve the quality of the sound a little it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

today now, there’s no sound oh well.

I repasted the code in Application, submitted and applied configuration again. It started working again. Wonder what’s up with that.

It had nothing to do with the code, Asterisk lost connection to the streaming server.

Use the CLI command MOH reload to restart.

When using streaming you man need to put a asterisk -rx ‘moh reload’ in your cron file however many times a day are needed.

Thanks a lot I’ll look into that. Much appreciated :smiley:

The cron job fixed the problem. I checked it in the morning and this evening and it continues to work. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.