Module Sounds missing from /var/lib/asterisk

I have been having problems with the speeddial module whereby when I dial *75 (the default speeddial editing feature code) I get no audio announcement.

On investigation I find that the necessary *.gsm files are missing from /var/lib/asterisk/sounds. They are present instead in /var/www/html/admin/modules/speeddial/var/lib/asterisk/sounds.

I also notice that there are var/lib/asterisk subdirectories in the dictate, findmefollow, ringgroups, pbdirectory and paging modules. The sounds and bins in these subdirectories do not appear in /var/lib/asterisk. Has the freepbx/trixbox installer put them in the wrong place or is each module failing to copy them across to /var/lib/asterisk when module admin installs the modules?

Is there a way to resolve the problem short of copying all the sound and bin files from all the modules into /var/lib/asterisk?

Is this problem due to a bug in Freepbx?

Can you please tell me exactly how you installed your system? You say it is trixbox, can you be specific as to what trixbox iso you installed and if you have done anything else with Module Admin once installing. Also, what version of FreePBX?

This should not be a FreePBX issue. The layout you describe is not correct and we have seen in the past, in what I believe were really old trixbox ISOs, where they were creating that structure for some unknown reason. And yes, it is wrong.

Each module can have on of a few directories, one of them being “sounds”. If that directory is at the top level of the module, then all files in it will be automatically linked to the proper location. Since yours is not correct, they are not being linked. Your easiest solution would be to uninstall the modules in question. Then completely delete them from the /var/www/html/admin/modules directory. Then reinstall them through the online system.

But please do let us know the details of how this was installed to see if we can determine where the culprit is.

Philippe Lindheimer - FreePBX Project Lead
http//freepbx.org - IRC #freepbx

Unfortunately I do not have completely reliable information on the installation as it was by an ex-colleague. I believe that it was a clean trixbox 2.0.0 install. I have installed, enabled, disabled and uninstalled some modules using Module Admin but all the modules have been “(Locally Available)”. FreePBX is version 2.2.1

Thanks for the information on the correct structure of the module. I am a little reluctant to do a clean install of the modules as I have made quite a lot of customizations of them. If I were simply to copy all the “sounds” “bin” and “agi-bin” directories
from /var/www/html/admin/modules/<module_name>/var/lib/asterisk/
to /var/www/html/admin/modules/<module_name>/
would these be linked to the proper asterisk location?
To prevent me making things worse can you please point me to any document that gives a system design overview of the generic module. For example I have looked at some of the module install.xxx files but do not understand how the automatic links are created.

Best Regards
Nick

Philippe

I see that retrieve_conf creates the module symlinks for
agi-bin -> /var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin/
sounds -> /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/
bin -> /var/lib/asterisk/bin/
etc -> /etc/asterisk/

In each module I have manually moved the relevant files into top level directories with these names and rerun retrieve_conf by clicking the red banner and it all works fine now

Thanks for identifying the problem with the original trixbox install

Best Regards
Nick