Module Dependency Matrix? (ie End Point Manager)

I don’t suppose there’s any info on which modules are dependent upon others for install and/or updates to function correctly?

I have the Distro installed on a test box with no updates other than the basic install instructions. I manually uploaded EPM 2.10.4.5 and installed it. I then uploaded the provisioner package (provisioner_net.tgz) to which I received a status “extracting provisioner package…updating Last Modified…Return.”

However, upon hitting Return, I am not prompted for an “apply changes,” so I can’t say for certain that it really is getting installed. And, of course, nothing is showing under “brands/models,” End Point Configuration, or End Point Template Manager (still shows no products installed…however, clicking “here” to install them locks up my GUI because I don’t have a portal open in our firewall for this box yet since it is a test system…ie why I am installing manually).

So, are there dependencies of EPM on other modules to get the upload to “apply?” Or can anyone share the magic entries on the command line to get the provisioner package to apply?

Thanks,
Tracey

for dependencies:-

/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin

then

/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin checkdepends modulename
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin reversedepends modulename

I believe You will need the endpoint configuarator access to the internet to download any software loads and provisioning fuiles, they don’t come with the module itself but are downloaded on demand.

Why are you manually uploading these through endpoint manager. There is no need. Do you not have internet or something?

Thanks, dicko! This is VERY helpful. :slight_smile:

So, I guess I am misinterpreting the purpose for the Manual Endpoint Modules Upload/Export under the EP Advanced Settings, wherein it implies Provisioner and Brand packages can be uploaded from my desktop.

No you got it right. However you aren’t answering WHY you needed to do that in the first place.

“because I don’t have a portal open in our firewall for this box yet since it is a test system…ie why I am installing manually”

My sysadmin is trying to test a High Availability ASTerisk (HAAST) solution. He ran the minimal Distro install and has asked me to load two extensions to test with. However, I am unable to get the devices to register without assigning the MAC and brand/model templates (and have absolutely NO telephone background to even attempt to hack it from the backend).

Our policies do not allow “privileges” of test boxes through a firewall (especially during national cyber security month). Yes, we are a government shop, so yes, we are on the extreme end of caution and yes, have been beaten down enough to learn to just accept the chains that bind us (written with tongue in cheek, of course).

Then start with baby steps and set up the phones “the old fashioned” way, basically on the phone set the server ip, username and password to match your defined extension in FreePBX

Worry about HA and fancy stuff later.

Thanks once again, dicko. Hard sometimes to remember to take a step back and redirect the blood supply to look at another perspective. We use VLAN to provision the phones. So, wasn’t thinking broad enough.

Believe me, I’m perfectly content on just running the elevator and sweeping up. Unfortunately, “counterparts” have higher service requirements (uhhhg). And, I am sure you are well experienced with the “trickle” effect.

You can easily use your VLAN infrastructure within Linux and add tagged vlan’s to your ethn interface quite simply with 8021q and vconfig in fact I recommend evey one does that for QOS reasons, most modern SIP phones also allow you to set that VLAN for voice traffic (use 512 as your voice vlan to be Cisco compliant)

If you really want to use Endpoint manager let me see what I can do this week.

We’re going to be using Aastra’s for the majority of our departments and have been trying to figure out the XML scripting. So, this may just be the nudge we needed to dive in (or fall kicking and screaming, depending on one’s perspective).

Cheers

We are having to replace the legacy TDM system with the VoIP system in stages. We’ve decided office “moves” are an opportunity to get the wiring installed and phase it in.

We have 2 Cisco gateways (1st 3 PRIs in the primary and the 2nd two in the backup for failover) which we define peer statements to direct which calls go to the legacy TDM and which come to the VoIP server.

Then, we used Enterasys switches in the IDFs with IP’s in our external subnet and coinciding with subnet IP’s of the internal subnet data switches (allows our staff to quickly determine the source location of problem IP’s, which our phones are being locked with their MACs via our DHCP server), in hopes of possibly using LLDP-med protocol. As such, our VLAN ID’s coincide with the subnets to help control “where” these devices are being plugged in (and reduce the number of legs our devices seem to grow and walk into black holes never to be found again).

As with much technology, there are 10+ ways to do everything and we are still determining what is the “best fit” for our environments.

You are going to continue to run into a lot of walls without that Internet connection.

This is a big challenge.

Can you rsync the repo from Andrew’s project and FreePBX for a local copy?

Yes, yes…you are familiar with the cartoon Dilbert? Believe me, I use it for wallpaper in my cubicle. It’s pretty much my main source of sanity at work. After work, it’s Leinenkugel. ;p

…permissions through the firewall (because I have done the 51 module updates and 44 new installs along with all the customizations to meet the system policy standards of our environment). However, the EPM updates were not being recognized at one time through the Module Admin (wasn’t pulling anything down past 2.10.3.7). So, I was forced to download one from http://www.the159.com/endpointman/ (which was 2.10.4.5 at the time) and manually update it. I still had the copy so was just trying to install that. But, I suspect it requires 2.10.0.0 first and then updating it. That would be logical I suppose.

As a side note, sure would be nice since Schmooze IS a major sponser to FreePBX enough to warrant its logo at the bottom of the GUI that it would actually have its product modules “included” in the Distro install. That is more important than Bandwidth.com’s SIPSTATION module (which I have to uninstall) in my humble opinion.