Mitel 52XX / 5224 TFTP Only Configuration Issues - no proxy configured

Starting with a known, working configuration dump from a 5224 set up using the web interface, I am unable to get this working as a tftp served template. The username has been replaced in every section and the password updated to match the short one set in freepbx - the extension should work as it was working previously with the same settings when manually configured. Whenever I try to dial, the phone gives a ‘no proxy configured’ message. All phones and freepbx have their own vlan, freepbx has the ftfp server which is working well and opnsense is handling DHCP.
I need to switch to tftp as the phones have taken to randomly rebooting with DHCP errors and one has once lost its configuration completely. I have also tested tftp with another handset and password variations with the same ‘no proxy configured’ issue. Proxy is definitely entered in the XML with the freepbx IP.
Can anyone help me with this please?

The downloaded working manual configuration file from one of the random reboots with errors phones used for tftp:

https://pastebin.com/bjCKnckx

You’re shooting at too many targets at once.

One problem at a time. The “No Proxy Configured” one could be a problem with your Option 66 (assuming you use Option 66) in the DHCP service to set the TFTP Address. Another possibility (thanks to the ‘overloading’ of “proxy”) is that the XML File for your configuration is not setting a SIP Proxy address and your phone doesn’t have one loaded in the phone’s BIOS. If that’s the case, the setting may be one that gets passed from DHCP (through the “Next Server” Option).

For many systems, DHCP is “the way” that TFTP is actually established. The boot server is passed, along with a lot of other server addresses, in the DHCP traffic. For Cisco phones, for example, there are several servers that get set in the Cisco-specific group that the phones are assigned to. You may be running into a similar hang-up.

The phone should have a log - if you can redirect that log file to a SYSLOG server or open the log up on the phone, perhaps there’s a spelling or punctuation error in your XML. Running the program “xmllint” against the configuration file may also point out a ‘hard to spot’ error in the config file that is causing issues.

On to the other issues:

• What DHCP problem are you seeing that would cause a phone to reboot? That’s a new one for me, and I’ve been doing this for more than just a few weeks. It sounds more like a POE issue with your switch or some other power supply problem - I’ve seen that cause all kinds of weird harm to equipment over the years.

Thank you for your response.
Xmllint returns no errors (0) for config files, other than:

MN_Generic.cfg:33: parser error : Extra content at the end of the document

I assume it is unhappy about the second set of parameters in the file; for the second phone model present.

Regarding TFTP, there is a TFTP setting on the DHCP server which is set to the IP of the PBX / TFTP server, as per the screenshot attached. This configuration does work ok for Cisco phones and the configuration is loaded onto the Mitel phones. I could set an explicit 66 option If this might help.

I have attached a couple of photos of some of the errors I find. Please note the apparent text corruption in one of them. PoE is via a Nortel Baystack 5520-48t-pwr network switch which seems to be running fine.

Cisco uses Option 150 for its TFTP Server IP Address.

From that screen shot, I would argue that it probably isn’t beyond more than a few dozen meters. Try plugging an external power supply into that phone (instead of or addition to) and see if the symptoms change.

The ‘no proxy configured’ issue is resolved - I went through the UI of the working phone page by page and compared it with one of the non-working ones; I had set the media (RTP) port range incorrectly and had also done the same thing with the Cisco phones, which only worked with chan_sip. They are now all working ok with pjsip.

Thanks again for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.