Migration from Elastix to FreePBX

Currently I have a running Elastix 2.4.0 Distro that needs to be migrated to FreePBX 5.211.65-15 Distro. All I need is to migrate the configurations. How can it be done? Will be there any incompatibility issues?

EDIT:
Is it ok backing up everything from Elastix and restoring it in FreePBX?

No backing up and restoring from different version of FreePBX doesn’t work out so well. You can look into using the Bulk import tools to get most of the heavy lifting done for you…you may need to tweak some of the csv file to manipulate or update the data where needed.

Also depending on the size of the system and your time and budget you may want to look into FreePBX Professional support services, the techs are pretty efficient at migrating systems. Depending on your phone models it may be a good time to consider implementing the Commercial EPM. It will typically speed up your migration, and cut over, as well as making it easier to manager your endpoints in the future.

That’s the rub too - we have upgraded about 35 machines so far this year from Elastix to the FreePBX distro and most of them have gone fine, but it is tricky - Elastix is still stuck on PHP 5.1 and LOTS of the modules in FreePBX 2.11 use PHP 5.3 features and therefore fail. If you can get your Elastix up to FreePBX 2.11 and then do a backup, restoring that and then reinstalling the modules that are not present on Elastix usually works well - just make sure you get everything and when you are restoring make sure and restore /etc/asterisk/extensions_custom.conf and /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf - I don’t know why but they sometimes don’t come back and then you have no voicemail on the extensions.

Also, if you are going from a 32-Bit Elastix to a 64-Bit FreePBX Distro, make a symbolic link in /usr/lib to /usr/lib64/asterisk as follows: ln -s /usr/lib64/asterisk asterisk

Otherwise, when you restore and then reload, you will end up with only about 32 modules loading and nothing working.

It’s a fair amount of futzing around, but like I said we have done about 35 machines so far this year, and have successfully gotten them all working without having to reload or recreate anything.

Greg

3 Likes

I’m doing the same thing but I just need to migrate extensions (SIP and CUSTOM) from Elastix to FreePBX 12.0.37.

I tried to use the template file from the “Bulk Extension” module but it has too many fields and I’m not sure which ones are required for the import.

Thanks in advance for your help!