As a Linux noob, I’m looking for a little advice from more experienced users. Is there a preferred method to install the media conversion libraries? Build and install from source? Or install and enable another repo, such as rpmfusion.org or repoforge.org? My concern with the latter is having something from that repo replace something that is maintained in the FreePBX Distro repos. However, my testing so far has not led to much success when trying to build and install from source. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions you can provide!
I installed both ffmpeg and lame from source and had no trouble building from source on the freepbx distro. If you aren’t running the fpx distro, it might be less straightforward, but I think most of these packages can build and install on the likes of RH or CentOS based systems. You may need a couple dependent packages and see a bunch or warnings during build, but that isn’t uncommon and a configure, make, make install should work fine for you. You can also manually download and install the packages from those other repos if you don’t want to install for source or add the repos to your system, but that defeats the purpose of yum and you might as well compile your own at that point.
Thanks for the info. I am running the FreePBX Distro, so I should be able to do it. Did you build and install all of the encoding libraries suggested for CentOS on the ffmpeg.org wiki? Or are only some specific ones needed? Perhaps that is my problem.
Interestingly, if I install the rpmfusion.org repo, then install lame and ffmpeg with all dependencies, the notification on the FreePBX Dashboard about missing HTML5 format converters clears itself automatically after a restart. But, if I build from source, the notification does not disappear automatically. My guess is that I am not including one of the encoding libraries when I build.
Perhaps I should just install all of the encoding libraries? But then again, I don’t want to break something else that is already working…
Hmm, I don’t follow you. For me simply downloading the 8MB source file ffmpeg-2.8.3.tar.bz2, extracting it and doing a configure and then make && make install not only built all the conversion libraries and installed them, but also cleared my html5 warning on the dashboard on a fpbx13 and asterisk 13 system. The only thing I did was run configure with the --disable-yasm switch because it didn’t like the version on the system and wouldn’t continue otherwise.
Ah, OK. I will try that. On the ffmpeg.org wiki, it suggest running ./configure with these switches:
–enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265
Since some of those related to aac, mp3, etc, I assumed those switches were also needed. I will try building without those switches and see what happens. Thanks!
In addition, I also had lame built from source and installed prior to trying to build ffmpeg and it found the lame libraries for M during configure I think IIRC.