Manual Install: Upgrade to Asterisk 18?

Happy Sunday everyone,

I have installed a couple of FreePBX 16 on Debain 11 using this guide by @billsimon. Thank you, Bill!

These PBXes run smoothly and have zero issues whatsoever.

However, I’d like to upgrade Asterisk to v18 or even better to v20. Has anyone done that successfully?

Thanks

Plenty of people. It’s a standard upgrade process, that is to say, you installed v20 just like you would for the first time and boom, it’s ready to go.

I followed the linked guide which installs Asterisk 16 from the Debian Bullseye package repository (apt install asterisk)
Later in the guide, you disable Asterisk so FreePBX can control it.

How would you upgrade to v20? Should I do the following?

• Uninstall the current asterisk package
  • Install Asterisk 20 from the Debian repo or from source.
  • Disable the service (if installed via repo)
  • Rerun the ./start_asterisk start Asterisk script.

Or am I doing it wrong?

Oh yeah, I forgot that processes uses the OS packages which adds more complexity then just doing it from source. I never use OS packages for this when doing manual installs.

All the non-distro’s I do are just installed from source which makes updating versions easy peasy.

From source

cd  /usr/src
wget https://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/asterisk-18-current.tar.gz
tar zxsvf asterisk-18-current.tar.gz
cd asterisk-..
contrib/scripts/install_prereq install
contrib/scripts/get_mp_source.sh
./configure --with-jannson-bundled
make menuconfig
# chose what yo want include app_macro and sound files
make
rm /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/*
make install
fwconsole restart
2 Likes

It looks like Debian is going to skip over Asterisk 18. Asterisk 20 is packaged in sid. So for now you can uninstall the asterisk packaging and install asterisk from source as @dicko said. Maybe later version 20 will be available in backports. I like to stick with the packaged versions when possible, but unfortunately here the package maintainers missed an opportunity to have Asterisk 18 in bullseye.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.