Make Debian "sysadmin rpm" commercial Modules work

I have many clients and everything we do is Debian based we love how Debian s strict way of doing things has allowed it to be a solid stone in the server world.

Have always liked how redhat was very innovative but really disliked the future proofing for when hardware lasts longer then normal a simply update to something like php or something gets messy and seems smoother in the Debian world.

I do not want to argue the strengths/weekness of redhat nor why I will not use the main distro. I work with what ever people are using but when It comes to my preference I just like that I can build my own and hope folks respect that.

I have many installs using the free module for provisioning, End Point Configuration recently. After fighting with a phone that was not supported I noticed there was a affordable module for the commercial version. so I called up and read up on what was involved.

I see other people are stuck when it comes to Debian like myself
has anyone found a way to get around this.

Is this it I am unable to load this because of a function that only work in the redhat world of distros.

i am wondering if the folks at the commercial side of things could use something more compatible then the “sysadmin rpm” or at least post some way around this to make this work in Debian. What does it require to make this part run can you make some changes so it runs with debian. You are alienating a very large install Debian distro group of people.

whats required to get past this point?

When ever something will not run on a Debian system people find a way can we find a way! i want to make this work. i would like to pay for this commercial module I do not want to run the distro nor a redhat distro.

1 Like

At this time all of our commercial modules are “EL” only. This means they should work on any variant of “enterprise linux” such as SCHMZ OS (the freepbx distro), CentOS, Redhat, Scientific Linux etc, etc…

There is no plans currently to expand this support as it is huge (larger than you would think) undertaking to add Debian (and derivative) style platforms.

With the commercial modules which are the only ones affected we like to maintain a certain level of stability that can be damaged through fragmentation. It is best to do one thing well, rather than 10 things mediocre.

Jfinstrom, I guess I received my what sounded like your official response. I get it. commercial support only on redhat Enterprise Linux type distros.

I am not asking you to support or even plan to add Debian. As you said "it is huge (larger than you would think) undertaking to add Debian (and derivative) style platforms. "

I have a respect for the redhat distros but I like many others want to stick with Debian. I want to use and pay for your commercial modules maybe possibly you will drop a crum or heck give a hint or maybe even write a small line some place to help make things play nice. Something that does not potentially add “fragmentation” to your solid code.

From what we have so far is after the install of the ZendGuardLoader and the incron it no longer complains it needs these dependencies although it just hangs at the module section installation.

" Please wait while module actions are performed"

what version of php is your modules encoded with ? (5.3 maybe?)

my php version is 5.4.4-14+deb7u14
found by the command dpkg-query -l|grep php

my apache2 error log shows
PHP Fatal error: Incompatible file format: The encoded file has format major ID 4, whereas the Loader expects 5 in /var/www/html/admin/modules/sysadmin/install.php on line 0, referer: http://1x.x.x.x/html/admin/config.php

Can you confirm your encoding will not run 5.4.4 … i will lower my version of running php

5.3 only at this time.

ok updated this…
nano /etc/apt/sources.list
comment for older php 5.3 since 5.4 does not work with freepbx commercial modules

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

nano /etc/apt/preferences.d/preferences
Package: php5*
Pin: release a=oldstable
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: libapache2-mod-php5

Package: php-pear

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 600

apt-get --purge clean
apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall php5 php-pear libapache2-mod-php5 php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-gd php5-mcrypt php5-mysql php5-xmlrpc php5-xsl

/usr/local/lib/Zend# php -v
PHP 5.3.3-7+squeeze19 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Feb 17 2014 10:10:23)
Copyright © 1997-2009 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright © 1998-2010 Zend Technologies
with Suhosin v0.9.32.1, Copyright © 2007-2010, by SektionEins GmbH

now I have a issue with it not seeing the zend again when I try to install
"
System Admin cannot be installed:
PHP Component Zend Guard Loader is required but missing from you PHP installation.
Please try again after the dependencies have been installed.
"

Maybe after a nights rest it will become clearer

First off remove “Suhosin”. It’s way way out of date (most of the functionality that Suhosin provided was included in PHP 5.4).

Secondly I dont see that you installed Zend Guard Loader at all. You just installed Zend Engine, not the same thing.

Do you have any plans to support PHP 5.4 or 5.5?

Yes. to 5.4, 5.5 depends on Zend