Linksys SPA942, latest firmware breaks call transfer

We have a hosted (remote) FreePBX server (v2.8.0.3 / Asterisk 1.4.21) and we have around 90 extensions deployed across a variety of sites which all use Linksys SPA942 phones - they work perfectly on firmware v5.2.5 however we recently upgraded a phone to the latest firmware v6.1.5a and everything worked fine apart from call transfers - the one thing most of our staff use daily.

When we attempt to transfer a call (both attended and unattended) we get to the point where we press ‘xfer’ for the second time and it just hangs up the call.

We then bought the replacement for the SPA942 (SPA504G) and it has exactly the same problem. Issue is, we can no longer buy SPA942’s from mainline distribution so very soon we’re going to have to roll out the newer phone and for the life of me, I can’t work out why it doesnt work.

Anyone seen this before - be grateful for some advice.

Thanks.

I had the exact same problem with version 6.1.5(a) factory resetted. Here’s how I “fixed” it, although it’s unclear which setting change fixed the problem:

Under Line x, make sure Blind_Attn-Xfer_Enable is Yes.
Under SIP, I changed to Yes the following: Talk Package, Hold Package and Conference Package.

Try a factory reset on the phone and then start over. Maybe there is a paramiter set wrong in the phone.

The blind transfer works ok but you’re right, the softkey for it is hidden in a second menu.

I’ve made some progress with the attended transfer (This is where we were/are having the problem).

Originally I took these steps to transfer the call:

1. Answer incoming call and then press the XFER button on the phone
  2. Dial the number for that I wish to transfer to
  3. Talk to the person and then press XFER again to transfer the call over - this is the step that then hangs up on all parties.

I’ve since tried this and it works - although it’s not going to be good enough for our customers:

1. Answer incoming call and then press the XFER button on the phone
  2. Dial the number for that I wish to transfer to
  3. Talk to the person and then… press the flashing red ‘ext1’ line button, and then press the XFERLX button which then transfers the call

I’m now convinced it’s not a FreePBX/Asterisk thing but a change in the way that Cisco/Linksys phones transfer calls - apparently it’s something to do with “flash…” somthing or other.

any one know how to manually revert these back to the old method?? :slight_smile:

What kind of transfer are you trying to do? A blind transfer or a attended transfer. The blind transfer soft key is for you to put in an extenstion number. Do you have that soft key showing? At any rate the functions are really for the Linksys 9000 system and not for asterisk. You can program the soft keys to perform most asterisk functions.

Ok - update.

I’ve now built a brand new PBX server (Virtual Machine) alongside our existing one using Asterisk 1.6/FreePBX 2.8.0.3 and I have exactly the same problem.

I’ve been working through the SIP debug logs all afternoon and it just looks like the phone is hanging up the call when you press the second transfer.

I’m really struggling to get my head around this - does anyone have any more suggestions?

At the time I was using version 2.6.0. Now I am at version 2.8.0.3. I tried the transfer with the SPA525 and it worked fine. You can remove what services that you don’t need and get xfer to show on the top menu. You also can program the lables to what you want. There must be something in your Asterisk config causing this problem.

At the time I was using version 2.6.0. Now I am at version 2.8.0.3. I tried the transfer with the SPA525 and it worked fine. You can remove what services that you don’t need and get xfer to show on the top menu. You also can program the lables to what you want. There must be something in your Asterisk config causing this problem.

gwinton,

Do you know which version of Asterisk/FreePBX you were using when you had the problems on the 504?

I spent a few hours on this yesterday with the following results;

• Blind transfers work fine - although you do have the scroll across the soft keys to get to this option
  • The asterisk logs seem to indicate that the second xfer command issues a call hangup
  • I’ve tried all of the issued firmware releases for the 504 on Cisco’s website which all present the same issue
  • The SPA942 was upgraded and downgraded several times yesterday and each time it was downgraded, the problem went away.
  • It seems that the new firmware just isn’t compatible with the Asterisk/FreePBX version we’re using, i’m just concerned that very few other people seem to have seen this problem before, it makes me think we have a config problem.

My next steps are to build a new FreePBX server using Asterisk 1.6 to see if this fixes the issue. I’m also considering moving away from Cisco phones but this would be a pretty expensive option.

The 500 series did have that problem before firmware version 7.4.2. They are now at version 7.4.6. We are using that version on both SPA504 and SPA525. I have no problems and I like the beging able to change the soft keys. On the SPA942 you can not change the soft keys.

Ok, thanks. How do I check the SIP debug? I’ve only ever used the asterisk -r and tried to read through the log.

I don’t suppose it’s anything to do with the version of Asterisk we’re running either? (1.4.21)

Thanks again.

[quote]
How do I check the SIP debug?[/quote]

http://www.google.com/search?q=asterisk+sip+debug

[quote]
I don’t suppose it’s anything to do with the version of Asterisk we’re running either? (1.4.21)[/quote]

No, most likely your issue is directly related to the Asterisk and not to the GUI.

I don’t think it’s related to FreePBX.
I have SPA962 running 6.1.5a working without issues with Asterisk 1.6.1.20 + FreePBX 2.8.0.3
Transfer works fine with both ## and Transfer soft-key on the phone.

I suggest to check Asterisk sip debug when doing transfer.