Latest Trixbox

I want to use FreePBX on the latest version of Trixbox, but when I install FreePBX it does not install a few files, the the ARI, because Trixbox has its version set to something like 5.5.2. How do I get a clean upgrade of FreePBX on a machine. I do like the rest of Trixbox’s features like the config file editor that is why I use it. Thank you.

trixbox did something called “A Fork” of FreePBX. If you notice it is called pbx settings and you would be better asking this question on the tb forums.

Better yet use a different ISO that uses FreePBX ( the real FreePBX )like AsteriskNow, FonicaPABX or PBX in a Flash.

At the end of the I would expect you to find more joy with any of those.

PBX in a flash will not install on my dual xeon machine, it just hangs, and I thought that asterisk now used their own gui?

FonicaPABX only uses asterisk 1.4 and I need to use the new fax features of 1.6 and Fax for Asterisk.

Before trixbox 2.6.1, the “PBX Config” (i forgot the exact name) was called FreePBX and developed by freepbx.org. Trixbox took that code and made their own web interface with it.
To remove, get on SSH:
yum remove trixbox
yum remove tbm-pbxconfig

Then “upgrade” freepbx by using these instructions:
freepbx.org/support/documentation/instal...pgrading-your-system

Then, update all the modules with Module Admin and Check for Updates online.

By Joseph Ades http://trixbox.org/forums/trixbox-forums/open-discussion/announcement-extension

Good luck!

John

Will this remove trixbox features like config file editor?

That did not work

I still have

ARI Framework setup 5.5.2 Enabled

Elastix is another possibility.

You CAN NOT go back with trixbox currently. They messed with a bunch of things, the first being the module version numbers. They bumped the versions from 2.x to 5.x so that you could not. Basically trixbox screwed you over.

There is not a known way currently to fork a f*cked trixbox setup once you have moved to the “pbxconfg” as they call it.

Take a look at AsteriskNow. The 1.5 version is CentOS 5.x based, uses FreePBX, etc.

A dual Xeon system should not have any issues with CentOS unless you have bleeding edge hardware that does not have some special driver needed for something on the MB. Hence the reason to not go purchase brand new hardware designs or eclectic hardware setups.

Folks assume because I help trixbox users that I use trixbox, this is in fact false.

I have been advising folks to download the tarball and rerun the setup_amp script.

This appears not to work with the latest version of trixbox based on these comments and I will stop this poor advice.

I do realize that the trix Endpoint Manager, CDR-Reports and system tools are very popular and useful. They also have setup versions of PHPMyadmin and MUNIN.

To this end the easiest path is to use the trix ISO 2.6.05, 2.6.07 should also work however I have not tested this version.

You can even remove the trixbox landing page and make a simpler home page with just the tools you need.

You can adjust which repositories you wish to use depending on your needs.

Above all, never do a yum upgrade all or you will end up with the latest trix.

Going back to what I originally said, choose a different distro. You’ll end a lot happier.

unless you want to learn a lot of details about how to trick FreePBX into letting you update various modules, you would effectively have to manually uninstall FreePBX (deleting the database and all the various files it installs and then install it from scratch.

Even this route, there may be other things in trixbox currently or in the future that mess with you so there’s always the potential for issues. Your two best options really are (a) stick with trixbox, (b) choose another distro or your own. There are other distro’s that have the config editor or you can install it by yanking it from elsewhere. (Or use a real editor, with color coding syntax, etc. which really is the “smarter” thing to do anyhow). Some of the other packages on trixbox can probably be installed from their yum repository anyhow.

OK, I dislike trixbox and what they stand for so I have done some testing and came up with a solution:

First of all, open up a shell to your trixbox and start mysql:

[trixboxsucks.localdomain ~]# mysql -uasteriskuser -pamp109
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 32
Server version: 5.0.45 Source distribution

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql>

Note, if you have changed your password for mysql, substitute asteriskuser and amp109 to what you have changed them to.

Now, change to database asterisk

mysql> use asterisk;
Reading table information for completion of table and column names
You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A

Database changed
mysql>

Run this to see all “forked” version numbers:

select modulename, version from modules where version > '5.5';

You get something like (if you have updated to latest, core is 5.5.1.6):

+------------+---------+
| modulename | version |
+------------+---------+
| fw_ari     | 5.5.2   |
| core       | 5.5.1.3 |
+------------+---------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Now run this in mysql:

update modules set version = '2.5.0' where modulename = 'core' or modulename = 'fw_ari';

The output should be something like:

Query OK, 2 rows affected (0.01 sec)
Rows matched: 2  Changed: 2  Warnings: 0

Exit from mysql with "exit"
Download The Real Thing from FreePBX with this command:

wget http://mirror.freepbx.org/freepbx-2.5.1.tar.gz

Unpack it with this command:

tar xvfx freepbx-2.5.1.tar.gz

Type this:

cd freepbx-2.5.1

Install The Real Thing:

./install_amp

Now, to update fw_ari you must remove a file from fw_ari directory:

rm /var/www/html/admin/modules/fw_ari/module.xml
rm: remove regular file `/var/www/html/admin/modules/fw_ari/module.xml'?

Type ‘y’ and hit enter.
Now go to Module Administration in FreePBX and you will see that fw_ari is set to broken. Click on fw_ari and select Uninstall, then click on Process. The modules will be uninstalled.
No click on Check for online updates, select FreePBX ARI Framework and click on Download and Install then Process. Continue the install. Then click again on Check for online updates, click on Core and upgrade that module first.
Then do a Check for online updates again, click on Upgrade all, then Process.
Lastly, click on Apply Changes and you are done.

Now you have The Real Thing.

Enjoy.

A couple of comments, first, keep in mind that there may be other parts of trixbox that modify your system. At one point, the trixbox code would regularly replace certain files to help with their embedded model. This was done outside of the FreePBX code, and may still be there. There are other things they may continue to do.

This is their way of maintaining their distribution and if you are going to live with it, you need to be prepared for things to break or otherwise be effected since they are expecting this to be their version, not the real thing.

As far as updating the modules table, the first thing I would suggest is to make sure you make backups of everything, ‘just in case.’ Now, if you want to get “fancy,” you can updated the module tables that Mike refers to above with a single SQL statement:

UPDATE modules SET version = '2.5.0' WHERE modulename IN (
  SELECT modulename FROM `modules` WHERE version >= '5.5'
)

However, keep in mind that there still may be issues because FreePBX will then see the local version of their modules and want to update you back to them. The online system might get some of them replaced but there may still be issues, it really depends what they distribute with their initial tarball.

If you want to do this as ‘safe’ as possible, you really want to remove all their FreePBX code from the system and install manually. This can be a bit involved.

Well… I guess one must be patient. I started the process of updating… I took a nap, woke up and it was untar’d. I hit apply and it is now fixed. Not sure why it took so long… Steve

Hello Everyone,

I am seeing the need to update the native trixbox gui (FreePBX 2.5) How ever there are several problems i am upgrading from a previous version of trixbox v2.2.2 and it has all our outbound, inbound, IVR, MOH and trunks in it with no way to export so I had to copy the etc/asterisk directory and the WAVs to the new box in the same location as far as I can tell it picked them up fine, However the extensions are not showing even with the extension.conf, extensions_custom.conf, extensions_additional.conf on the new server. I was thinking of using the bulkextensions module and the 2.5 upgrade tool, but unfortunately this version has only FPBX 2.5. So I am not sure how to proceed. I am thinking to just do a rebuild on the trixbox server itself with the FreePBX Distro, but I need all the configs to be used as we have a very sophisticated routing mechanism to our international offices.....Any Ideas or Detailed upgrade information.

Thanks,
Michael

Trixbox is a dead product. Tony had devised a script to move from TB to the FreePBX distro. I don’t have it in front of me, but if you search Trixbox in this forum you’ll find it, but I don’t think it will work on 2.2. You just need to check.

BF