Last Reload: 0 minutes -- PBX in a Flash

Greetings,

I’m running a “PBX in a Flash” Asterisk system that seems to have a problem. It looks like Asterisk is constantly reloading, according to the status screen.

In researching this problem I found this comment in the FreePBX forum: “Check that the asterisk process has not restarted. If so then it’s not liking something so dies and the safe_asterisk process is restarting asterisk to keep the phone system up.”

I followed this advice and found:
root 3923 1 0 10:22 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk -U asterisk -G asterisk
asterisk 3932 3923 0 10:22 ? 00:01:18 /usr/sbin/asterisk -f -U asterisk -G asterisk -vvvg -c
root 17564 15506 0 12:56 pts/1 00:00:00 grep -U asterisk

Thus, Asterisk, itself, is not restarting. Therefore I am going to assume (dangerous) that I have a problem elsewhere and safe_asterisk is continually restarting. Hence I need to find a way to determine what save_asterisk may not like.

Asterisk version: 1.4.21.2
Asterisk source: 1.4.21.2
Zaptel: 1.4.12.1
Libpri: 1.4.7
FreePBX: 2.6.0.3

Any ideas where I should be looking to find the problem?

Many thanks.

Try first to do an amportal kill, check if asterisk is still running, it it is, try the command once again. If that still does not work, then try killall -9 safe_asterisk. That should kill safe_asterisk, then check if asterisk is running, end it with amportal stop.
Start it up with amportal start.
If it still is restarting then check your log files for any abnormalities.

Greetings,

Thanks. I shall try this tonight when the call load decreases.

jeff

Just some background, I understand that safe_asterisk is run if asterisk thinks that it has shut down abnormally (crashed), It brings it back up. I,too, have run into the problem where safe_asterisk is continuously bringing asterisk back up and have 2 or 3 instances of asterisk loaded (view via ps -a or ax). Killing safe_asterisk and restarting using amportal as Mikael suggests worked for me.

I did a system restart and also looked at the modules I had loaded but haven’t really used. One or the other, disabling features or the restart, did the trick.

Thanks for your help.

Today is the first day our time tracking IVR is in production, and the constant restarts blew the quality of Allison’s voice. Getting this fixed helped keep me somewhat out of the doghouse.