L2TP/IPSec Tunnel

I’m not sure what category this should be under, so I’m leaving it uncategorized. Feel free to move it where it belongs or tell me where it should go and I’ll move it. -Mark

I see that FreePBX has VPN Server setup in Admin > System Admin > VPN Server. That’s not what I need.

I would like to setup an L2TP/IPSec tunnel between our cloud based FreePBX VPS and our corporate edge router/gateway.

I do not see anywhere in FreePBX to do this, although I suspect the Support VPN sets up a tunnel.

I notice that ipsec-tools is not installed. (yum list installed | grep ipsec is how I tested.)

If anyone has already done this, I’d love to hear what worked/didn’t work.

An IPSec tunnel would best be done between the underlying operating system in your VPS and your corporate edge router. This is not something supported directly in FreePBX. (FreePBX does have a VPN Server, but that’s using OpenVPN, not L2TP/IPSec.)

Before the VPN built into FreePBX, L2TP was the “go to” method for securing an Asterisk server. It’s probably been 15 years since I looked at it.

@jsmith and @cynjut, that helps quite a bit. I’m not looking to bend space, so I’ll just use the built in OpenVPN.

Is this something I should configure from the ssh CLI, or is there a module that I should be setting up the OpenVPN connection through?

I don’t mind RTFM if anyone knows where this is documented, but I could not find anything.

The client end is often in the phone or the router, you just need to"import" the generated .ovpn file

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.