Issue with WellGate 2540 FXO Gateway

Hi all. Using a WellGate 2540 as an FXO gateway.

I was able to get it to work and was making/receiving calls. But during my troubleshooting I discovered a few things:

• Caller ID would show the trunk number. If I make a call to my PBX from my cell phone, my caller ID on any VOIP phones shows “1001”.

• The trunk is dergistering when I call, filling the console with this:

[2022-01-31 20:58:08] NOTICE[9371]: res_pjsip/pjsip_distributor.c:676 log_failed_request: Request 'INVITE' from '"anonymous" <sip:[email protected]>' failed for '10.10.3.240:8080' (callid: 7bd8b8-f0030a0a-1f90-55022-295-24defb87-295) - Failed to authenticate
  == Endpoint 1001 is now Unreachable
    -- Contact 1001/sip:[email protected]:8080 is now Unreachable.  RTT: 0.000 msec
    -- Removed contact 'sip:[email protected]:8080' from AOR '1001' due to expiration
  == Contact 1001/sip:[email protected]:8080 has been deleted
freepbx*CLI>

I can’t find much documentation on one of these units, but attached here is the trunk configuration on FreePBX and on the WellGate.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Update:

I have gotten it to register again after enabling Anonymous & Guest SIP. Outgoing calls show the correct caller ID, incoming calls now show “anonymous” instead of 1001.

Here is full output from asterisk -r -vvvvv

pastebin wWm7Ze94

Aaaand solution:

Thanks for letting me use your forum as rubber duck debugging :slight_smile:

I’m not trying to be a jackass, but that is certainly not a solution, it is a workaround and a very dangerous one, especially if you have your PBX exposed to the internet.
You should start troubleshooting by first disabling registration on the trunk and verifying if the trunk is usable. Regarding the caller ID, you will see different things depending on how you configure caller id presentation on the gateway.

No offense taken.

Shouldn’t this not be an issue for a PBX that is internal only?

It seems these wellgates are very old and the trunk settings are very specific.

If your SIP ports are not open to the internet, it should not be a security concern but it is still just a workaround. As long as you are not obsessed with that fact :slight_smile:
If you feel like troubleshooting, you can start by disabling registration between the gateway and the PBX. You can try using the parameters host=REPLACE_WITH_GATEWAY_IP type=friend and insecure=invite while also disabling allow anonymous and allow guests, those gateways are not that different than other gateways as old as them.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.