Issue Upgrading from 13 to 14

We are trying to upgrade from FreePBX Version 13 to Version 14 (and then to Version 15).

Currently trying the update instructions with the Upgrade Script, but the process keeps kicking out at ‘Running preupgrade to inventory running system’ with the message:
‘An error occurred, please check /var/log/sngupdate’
‘Error! setup_upgrade did not exit cleanly. Not enabling upgrade service’

I’ve tried looking up the error code at the bottom of the SNGUPDATE logfile with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would like to get this processed over the quiet time at the end of the year.

Thank you for your help!

Here’s the last portion of the sngupdate file:

Summary information:
We have found some potential risks.
Read the full report file ‘/root/preupgrade/result.html’ for more details.
Please ensure you have backed up your system and/or data
before doing a system upgrade to prevent loss of data in
case the upgrade fails and full re-install of the system
from installation media is needed.
Upload results to UI by the command:

‘utf8’ codec can’t decode byte 0xd2 in position 8281997: invalid continuation byte
######### An error occured, please check /var/log/sngupdate #########

I don’t know what the issue is, but I would try to update the PBX.

fwconsole ma upgradeall && yum update -y && fwconsole chown && fwconsole reload

Thanks. I tried this and all the items updated, but the distro-upgrade command exited with the same error as before. Any other ideas on how to correct this error or another method to perform a full migration to version 14/15?

If the goal is to get to 15, then I would make a backup of the 13 system and restore it on a new 15 install. Make sure to upgrade all modules to current, the backup module to edge before the restore.

Thank you. Can you please clarify what you mean by " the backup module to edge before the restore."?

Will a backup from 13 and restore to 15 also migrate voicemail, IVR menu audio files, CDR, etc?

You upgrade the module form the edge repo, so you are on the newest version available. The command:

fwconsole ma upgrade backup --edge

It should, but there are a number of open tickets with the backup module, so I can’t say definitively without checking the issue tracker. Best to install 15 on temporary hardware or on a $5/mo vultr instance so you can confirm for yourself.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.