Is this server specs sufficient for FreePBX Distro?

Hi everyone,

I plan to buy a server and Dell quoted me this based on my needs (10 - 15 users, probably 3 - 5 concurrent calls at the same time).

Is this specs sufficient?

Dell™ PowerEdge™ R410 Rack Mount Server
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5606 2.13GHz, 8MB Cache, 4.8 GT/s QPI, 4C No Additional Processor
4GB Memory (1x4GB), 1333MHz, Dual Rank LV RDIMMs
500GB 7.2K RPM SATA 3.5 " Hot Plug Hard Drive
SAS 6/iR Controller Card
C9: Add-in SAS6/iR ,PERC6/I, H200 or H700 supporting 2 Hotplug HDs - RAID 1 SATA 8X DVD + /-RW Drive for Ms 2008 R2
Dell™ E1912H 18.5" Monitor with LED backlight
Dell™ MS111 USB Optical Mouse
Dell™ KB212-B USB Entry Business Keyboard (English)
iDRAC6 Express
No Operating System
3Yr (7x24) 4-hour Onsite Service

I assume this whole server will have 1 FreePBX distro and no other OS. I don’t think this server can support virtualisation. I need a server that can focus on IP PBX only.

Any help? Thank you.

hi everyone,

i plan to lower down the specs, will the specs below do the job too?

• Intel platform with single-socket quad-core processor in 1U rackmountable server system
  • 1 x Intel Xeon Quad-Core E3-1230 3.20Ghz processor
  • 5.0GTI, 8Mb Intel Smart Cache, DMI, Hyper-Threading, Intel
    Turbo Boost 2.0, Intel Virtualization (VT-x) & (VT-d) Technology - Intel C202 PCH chipset
  • 4Gb ECC DDR3 1333Mhz memory
  • 1 x 500Gb 3.5", 6Gb/s, 7.2K rpm SATA Enterprise HDDs
  • 2 x GbE Intel Ethernet LAN ports
  • Integrated Onboard Graphic Controller with VGA port
  • Integrated IPMI 2.0 with Dedicated IPMI LAN port with
    remote iKVM
  • 250W High Efficent PSU
  • Rackmount Rail Kit included
  • OS not included
  • 3 Years Standard Product Warranty

what do you think? how many users can the above specs cater for inbound/outbound calls? thanks in advance.

That server looks more than sufficient for your needs.

thanks so much :slight_smile:

That box will handle 50 plus users with ease.

If i were you i would drop to the R310 and just bump the RAM to 8GB or so… unless you really want the 2u form factor

I have multiple R310’s and T310’s in place. No issues.

I agree with Wizard as I have two Dell r310’s in production with about 25 users at each site and they are working well. One thing to consider is the expantion slot count.

It’s not just inbound and outbound calls, CODEC, Queues, Call recording all are issues.

For 15 users those specs are a total waste of money. Pick up a Supermicro 19" Atom server, save space, electricity and money. The server you are spec’d is huge.

The Supermicro Atom’s have the IP KVM like the Dell’s and are business ready. They also cost under $500 with a dual core CPU.

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Just curious, for my specs above … hmm … roughly how many users that I can support? So I can estimate for expansion?

Any tips for me please? Thanks so much.

As I mentioned it all depends on CODEC’s, call recordings and other factors.

The machine you spec’d can support at least 100 concurrent channels of any complexity CODEC and easily 1000 extensions.

Wow! so powerful?

Just to confirm the specs that you are referring is below right? and not the 1st post i had here!

• Intel platform with single-socket quad-core processor in 1U rackmountable server system
  • 1 x Intel Xeon Quad-Core E3-1230 3.20Ghz processor
  • 5.0GTI, 8Mb Intel Smart Cache, DMI, Hyper-Threading, Intel
    Turbo Boost 2.0, Intel Virtualization (VT-x) & (VT-d) Technology - Intel C202 PCH chipset
  • 4Gb ECC DDR3 1333Mhz memory
  • 1 x 500Gb 3.5", 6Gb/s, 7.2K rpm SATA Enterprise HDDs
  • 2 x GbE Intel Ethernet LAN ports
  • Integrated Onboard Graphic Controller with VGA port
  • Integrated IPMI 2.0 with Dedicated IPMI LAN port with
    remote iKVM
  • 250W High Efficent PSU
  • Rackmount Rail Kit included
  • OS not included
  • 3 Years Standard Product Warranty

another question, when you recommend this Supermicro 19" Atom server, do you have links for this server? So i can do a fair comparison between these 2 servers.

That’s still quite a powerful machine. Just for reference I have 300 users on dual core Xeon (3 generations older than the core-2 based xeon).

Here is the Supermicro. These make a wonderful platform for Asterisk/FreePBX:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-EHF-D525.cfm

just check with the supermicro’s resellers, not cheap for the atom server though. almost close to the xeon server :slight_smile:

just want to check. does it matter if i buy Sata hard disk, or is it better i buy SSD for more efficiency?

I think SSD is a bit overkilled right?

I thought the Supermicro came to $400 US with a drive and memory. If you can buy the Xeon for that and don’t care about the power of form factor, go for it.

Some early SSD’s seemed to have high failure rates so I moved away from them. It seems the last 6 months that I have not seen any SSD issues so the yields must be getting better.

the supermicro doesn’t come with memory and hard disk. And if i add up just SATA 500GB, it is almost equivalent to the price of xeon e3. So i guess I will go with xeon e3 as it is almost same price and more powerful :slight_smile:

ohh… i didn’t know about the SSD high failure rates… is it based on brands? any links on this?

but thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

I have no scientific evidence on the SSD’s. TONY AND i bought a bunch, mixed brands. We both had the same issues. Failures, poor RAID sync performance etc.

Let us know how the server works out.

Then I stick to SATA then :slight_smile:

To be precise both a SSD and a rotating mechanical drive have a SATA interface.