Intermittant Fax issues

Greetings,

I have a system running FreePBX Distro 13.0.163 with Asterisk version 13.9.1

I’ve configured inbound fax detection to receive faxes and distribute them by email - not attempting to relay to an ATA or anything like that, just a simple fax to email configuration.

Intermittantly, faxes are failing. Today I received a report of such, and the log showed these two errors:

[2016-08-03 10:42:22] VERBOSE[26763][C-0000057f] pbx.c: Executing [s@ext-fax:5] ExecIf("PJSIP/inbound-0000060f", "1?Set(FAXSTATUS="FAILED: error: Unexpected message received statusstr: Unexpected message received")") in new stack
[2016-08-03 10:42:22] VERBOSE[26763][C-0000057f] pbx.c: Executing [h@ext-fax:104] NoOp("PJSIP/inbound-0000060f", "FAX "FAILED: error: Unexpected message received statusstr: Unexpected message received" for: [email protected] , From: "NPANXXXXXX" <NPANXXXXXX>") in new stack

I’m not sure if this an error on my end, or the senders’ end (e.g. line conditions). The fax is being received on a PJSIP trunk from the VOIP provider. I have been unable to duplicate the error using my fax - but I’m using a software virtual fax solution, not a POTS line.

Any troubleshooting suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

talk to your voip provider - i bet they will tell you that they do not guarantee fax operation over their voip trunk. in fact your voip provider might already have a fax solution (most do) that will send fax to email.

I’ll see what they have to say about it, any other suggestions welcome as well.