Intercom: remove ring, keep beep (D70)

I just read some different posts on intercom and ALERT_INFO, but they were older and not exactly what I am looking for.

FreePBX 2.11.0.27
Asterisk 1.8-Certified

Currently when using Intercom with the Digium D70’s, we get a full single ring and then a beep before we can talk. I’d like to remove all this delay by skipping the ring and just playing a beep so we can talk right away and also so it doesn’t sound like an external call.

Can anyone help me with that? Point me to the right documentation maybe?

Thank you.

To rephrase my question completely: in order to change the ALERT_INFO sent for intercom, do I need to copy the whole intercom dial plan into the freepbx override conf and edit it there?

This is where my hold up is. I just want to change it to answer without ring when using intercom, but I don’t know WHERE to change that.

Thanks.

I’ve tried putting the whole context for [ext-intercom] in extensions_override_freepbx.conf, changing it from ring-answer to answer and reloaded the dialplan and nothing is overridden. And actually, I had another override in there as well that was working before but seems to be ignored now as well.

Doh! Please someone tell me, I need to use amportal restart for overrides to take effect?

Changing alert-info here:
exten => _*80.,n,Set(_ALERTINFO=Alert-Info: answer)
is not working, but changing the beep played here:
exten => _*80.,n,Set(_DOPTIONS=A(en/ascending-2tone))
is working.

Confused.

Talking to myself here, but maybe it will be helpful to someone in the future.

Override file is working fine, I am just trying too many things so I stepped back to figure it all out.

Here is where I am now:

Instead of putting [ext-intercom] in the override file, it actually needs to be [macro-autoanswer] and then change the line for Digium phones.

HOWEVER, changing that from ring-answer to answer actually causes it NOT to auto answer. So now I am at a loss. I found WHERE and WHAT I need to change, verified ring types from here https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/DIGIUM/Ringing+Types+and+Intercom but it’s not working.

I’ve gotten this far, but what am I missing?

Got my answer after posting in the correct forum (once I realized what exactly my problem was related to). Answer is here: http://www.freepbx.org/forum/digium/alertinfoalertinfo-answer-not-working-on-d70

My problem was that my interpretation of the Wiki led me to believe that the alert info of “answer” was already added by DPMA and so I was trying to work with that, hence my frustration. Looking at the wiki again, I still think that is what it is telling you, but it didn’t work for me.

What I did was copy the [macro-autoanswer] into extensions_override_freepbx.conf and changed

exten => s,n,ExecIf($["${phone:0:6}" = “Digium”]?Set(ALERTINFO=Alert-Info: ring-answer))

to

exten => s,n,ExecIf($["${phone:0:6}" = “Digium”]?Set(ALERTINFO=Alert-Info: Intercom))

I then went into DPMA and added an alert called Intercom that is expecting the string Intercom. Pushed it out to all my phones, reloaded and end result is EXACTLY what I wanted. After all my frustrations yesterday, this was very satisfying. Now I hope this thread can help someone else in a similar situation.