Installing FreePBX without PM2 module

I managed to install Asterisk 16 (detailled version: Asterisk 16.16.1~dfsg-1+deb11u1) and FreePBX 16 (detailled version: 16.0.10.33) on a Raspberry Pi device and the installation just worked fine with some little hurdles to overcome under the Raspberry PI Bullseye OS based on Debian 11.

What strikes me is that many people in this forum seem to run into problems during the FreePBX installation when it comes to the PM2 module setup.

Albeit the introduced functionality with the PM2 module is nice, I do not really need this module for a very small IP telephony server.

Is there any command line or parameter that I can use to completely avoid the installation of the PM2 module and its dependent modules without breaking the FreePBX installation per se?

A bit of reverse engineering . . .

fwconsole ma delete pm2

The following error(s) occured:
 - Cannot disable: The following modules depend on this one: ucp,xmpp

ergo, do without xmpp or ucp and you are ‘good to go’ :wink:

Dicko beat me to it. Curses.

Deleting those modules will remove Xmpp/WebRTC/Jabber and User Control Panel support. If you plan on using SangomaConnect or anything else that relies on WebRTC you’ll have to reinstall at that time. Other than that you should be fine.

Thank you for the feedback and understand. I will go through all these points on whether and to which extent I need Xmpp, WebRTC and Jabber.

Are these the only limitations introduced with, when not installing the PM2 module? (Just double-checking twice to be sure.)

You could check that yourself with a spare $5 sd card :slight_smile:

pm2 also runs the core-fastagi service. I believe you would need to turn off FastAGI in the Advanced Settings as well.

Thank you all for the feedback. And yes, I will test everything with my stack of spare SD cards :smiley:

Without PM2 installed, reloads fail:

Reload Started

In Self_Helper.class.php line 212:

Unable to locate the FreePBX BMO Class 'Pm2’A required module might be disabled or uninstalled. Recommended steps (run from the CLI): 1) fwconsole ma install pm2 2) fwconsole ma enable
pm2

That would depend on the modules you have installed if you have no dependent modules installed, fwconsole will reload happily. On the other hand, it needs to be installed even if any dependent loaded module subsequently fails to load

There are no modules installed with PM2 as a dependency.

fwconsole ma delete pm2 

returns ?

It gets removed, then you get:

Reload Started

Unable to locate the FreePBX BMO Class 'Pm2’A required module might be disabled or uninstalled. Recommended steps (run from the CLI): 1) fwconsole ma install pm2 2) fwconsole ma enable
pm2

Please pastebin the complete transaction of

fwconsole ma delete sms
fwconsole ma delete webrtc
fwconsole ma delete ucp
fwconsole ma delete pm2

If anything bitches, do it twice.

root@FreePBX:~# fwconsole ma delete sms

• Specified module not found
    root@FreePBX:~# fwconsole ma delete webrtc
    root@FreePBX:~# fwconsole ma delete ucp
    root@FreePBX:~# fwconsole ma delete pm2
    Module pm2 successfully deleted
    Updating Hooks…Done
    root@FreePBX:~# fwconsole reload
    Reload Started

pm2

reload [–json] [–dry-run] [–skip-registry-checks] [–dont-reload-asterisk]

root@FreePBX:~#

Sorry, I just don’t have that problem.

root@FreePBX:~# fwconsole ma downloadinstall pm2
No repos specified, using: [standard] from last GUI settings

Downloading module ‘pm2’
Processing pm2
Downloading…
28867/28867 [============================] 100%
Finished downloading
Extracting…Done
Download completed in 3 seconds
Installing/Updating Required Libraries. This may take a while…The following messages are ONLY FOR DEBUGGING. Ignore anything that says ‘WARN’ or is just a warning

Finished updating libraries!
Generating CSS…Done
Module pm2 version 16.0.5 successfully installed
Updating Hooks…Done
Chowning directories…Done
Reload Started
Reload Complete

And this on a Raspberry? and interestingly, what happens when you attempt to delete it now.

Yes, on a Raspberry Pi 4B: Debian 11 (Bullseye) / FreePBX-16 / Asterisk 18.8.0

Everything fully up-to-date.

root@FreePBX:~# fwconsole ma delete pm2
Module pm2 successfully deleted
Updating Hooks…Done
Reload Started

pm2

reload [–json] [–dry-run] [–skip-registry-checks] [–dont-reload-asterisk]

hmmm let me look . . . .

This is the reason ‘fwconsole reload’ fails without pm2 installed.

It would be much nicer if FastAGI was forced off and not allowed to be enabled if pm2 is not installed instead of having fwconsole throw a cryptic error message.