Installing FreePBX 14 on Digital Ocean VPS

I currently have an Elastix PBX running on a Digital Ocean VPS
that would like to replace with a fresh installation of FreePBX 14
however I can’t boot from the ISO located here
so what alternatives do I have appart of the installation procedures published on the wiki?

1 Like

I’ve seen people post on the digital ocean forums similar question with different iso. Sometimes I’ve seen staff say contact us. I dont know if they are able upload a custom iso but cant hurt.

I contacted DO support and they told me that it is not possible.
I also pointed them to a link in VULTR (DO competition) but the response was also negative

1 Like

Not so much with vultr , under the ISO heading, add an iso ( you can have two) and copy and paste

https://downloads.freepbxdistro.org/ISO/SNG7-FPBX-64bit-1707-1.iso

then wait a bit and use that as your installation medium.

bummer I wish I could upload custom isos. I dont get why they disallow it. I’m guessing it has to do with security.

So , if you want to waste a n hour or so, (or it might just work :slight_smile: ), on any cloud server of your choice,

1. create a machine of the same OS as your original machine.
  2. on the new cloud instance, run

rsync -avxXH the.old.machine.ip:/ /
update/upgrade the machine with yum or apt-get, fix the network and nat if needed
(do that twice, cos it might catch a squirrel.)

reboot the effer and see if it works.

Some say that won’t work however.

1 Like

Here is another ugly way.
Few notes first; if DO is OpenVZ it won’t matter because you can’t get ZendGuard part of it to work. Issues getting the MAC address for registration.

I would post a link, but the ads on the site I found the script… are clickbait and stupid.

Google “CloudAtCost FreePBX”

You can find old scripts that will take an old vanilla CentOS install and convert it to an old FreePBX version. You can then move through the upgrade procedures to get current.

I did this for a home system and it works well, and I’m using some off the wall vps provider that know noone has probably heard of (DO is a great provider, but I’m cheep). I am not running the most current/newest distro. It’s a home system intended so that my four year old can call dad to say she ate all her lunch and deserves a toy…

I’ve used Vultr, and I know you can use custom ISO, I’ve done it, but I never tried FreePBX or checked if it’s OpenVZ

The wiki instructions for manual install are very good and will take you about 30 minutes including waiting for things to build. Don’t be put off by the “experts only” language. If you can follow directions, you’re an expert.

Yeah, don’t fully believe that. As the guy who wrote some of those wiki pages, those are minimal installs. They do not have all of the dependencies that some of the modules require and there is no commercial module support.

The reason they are marked “Expert” isn’t just based on Linux knowledge but the fact you should have a high level of knowledge on how FreePBX works and how to deal with the fact you have to piecemeal this all together.

Thank you! BTW, I would like to contribute a FreePBX 14, Asterisk 13, Debian 9 Stretch page based on your page for Debian 8.x.

Doesn’t fwconsole ma installall pretty much do it for all of the non-commercial modules?

Since he’s coming from Elastix, there’s not necessarily any expectation of commercial module availability, but I agree that it could be a deal-breaker. At the same time, I’d much rather have a well-built from scratch system than one rsync’ed over the wire hoping and praying that everything lines up to work as it should.

According to this thread there is an error with gpg on that version of Debian

I’ll keep an eye out for it but as far as I can tell it just needed dirmngr to be installed, then everything worked fine automatically.

@reraikes this my work for you