Installing Distro from VM to AWS EC2 boot issue help?

Does anyone here have experience running the Distro on AWS EC2 that can shed some light on what needs to be done?

This guy here basically lays out the steps for the import/export that I am using - https://hopstorawpointers.blogspot.com/2017/01/uploading-virtualbox-vm-to-amazon-ec2.html

Everything works as expected, as far as creating the AMI, but the instance will not boot with the following errors:

[ 186.242964] dracut-initqueue[254]: Warning: Could not boot.
[ 186.666225] dracut-initqueue[254]: Warning: /dev/SangomaVG/root does not exist
[ 186.669859] dracut-initqueue[254]: Warning: /dev/SangomaVG/swaplv1 does not exist
[ 186.673723] dracut-initqueueWarning: /dev/mapper/SangomaVG-root does not exist
Starting Dracut Emergency Shell…
Warning: /dev/SangomaVG/root does not exist
Warning: /dev/SangomaVG/swaplv1 does not exist
Warning: /dev/mapper/SangomaVG-root does not exist

Is there some additional mapping that needs to be done with the EBS volume?

Steps I have done:

1. Install latest Distro in VirtualBox
  2. Export .ova file from working VirtualBox Install
  3. Upload .ova to S3 Storage
  4. Create AMI per documentation - https://docs.aws.amazon.com/vm-import/latest/userguide/vmimport-image-import.html#import-vm
  5. Create new EC2 instance from newly created AMI

Thanks for any help

I have a few EC2 instances which I created following the route you took.

When you created the VM in VirtualBox did you select the hard drive type as VHD? I think that’s what I did but the tutorial you link had it down as VMDK (I didn’t read the full page).

On AWS help does it says something about VMDK has to be done via VMware.

It might not be what is causing your issue but maybe try again using VHD on VirtualBox

I will try using VHD and see if that works. Are you using the SNG7 Distro, or an older version?

Latest version of the distro.

One more: Are you using Fixed size or Dynamically allocated drive in VirtualBox?

I set it up fixed.

My thinking was, if I plan to use a 100GB disk on EC2 then I create the VM in Virtualbox with 100GB.

That makes sense. I appreciate your input.

Are you exporting to an .ova and uploading the .ova or uploading the actual VHD that VirtualBox uses?

If you are uploading the .ova, what format are you saving in?(options are Open Virtualization Format 0.9, Open Virtualization Format 1.0, Open Virtualization Format 2.0, Oracle Public Cloud Format 1.0)

I saved a 30G VHD, but when I exported in Open Virtualization Format 2.0 it is only 1.28GB, and when I check the import with describe-import-image-tasks it shows format as VMDK:

"SnapshotDetails": [
                {
                    "Status": "active",
                    "UserBucket": {
                        "S3Bucket": "my-file-bucket",
                        "S3Key": "SNG7-PBX-64bit-1805-1.ova"
                    },
                    "DiskImageSize": 1392707584.0,
                    "Format": "VMDK"
                }
            ],

No idea why I was having such a hard time with the SNG7-PBX-64bit-1805-1, but I ended up installing FreePBX-64bit-10.13.66 and upgrading to SNG7 via the RPM. I will probably try again at some point(because it would be nice to just be able to installing latest version and I had to install on T2), but I think this should work for now. If anyone can think of anything I might need to do different between the two versions let me know, and thanks Steve for your time.

Hi Tim

Glad you got it working at least.

Its been awhile since I last did it so sorry I couldn’t be exact with all my answers. If I get a few spare hours I’m tempted to have another go at it.

Will let you know the results if I do.

I just installed SNG7-PBX-64bit-1805-2 that was added two days ago without any issues. They don’t show this as the latest stable release though. Do you know if builds that are not stable show up on this page, or did they just not update the latest stable on https://www.freepbx.org/downloads/?

Also, do you see any reason why I shouldn’t just make the AMI I created public(so at least people in the US-East can have easy access to it)? I guess I don’t understand why no one has done this and the only recent FreePBX builds I found as AMI’s were paid. I think I may be missing something?

Because it vilolates the user agreement of the FreePBx Distro as found on FreePBX.org.

That is why. Thank you for letting me know. Can you answer the question about the ‘SNG7-PBX-64bit-1805-2’ being stable?

If it’s not listed yet than it’s not stable. @GameGamer43 might have more info on this.

We are in the process of making the SNG7-PBX-64bit-1805-2 ISO stable, it just hasn’t made it to the website yet but it should be shortly.

I re-read the TOS, and can you tell me which one of these is correct ?

1. Me distributing(making public) the AMI is against “Modifying the FreePBX Distro to work on other environments, such as VPS containers, is an explicit violation of these Terms of Service.”?

or

1. Me creating the AMI for myself is against “Modifying the FreePBX Distro to work on other environments, such as VPS containers, is an explicit violation of these Terms of Service.”?

or

1. “FreePBX” in the name associated with the AMI is against "Only Certified FreePBX Resellers or a FreePBX Partner with an agreement in place can market “FreePBX” or “The FreePBX Distro” (or any other name implying it is related to the FreePBX project, or Sangoma Technologies Corporation) commercially to third parties?

I simply mounted the .iso in virtualbox and made no changes to it, so I am trying to figure out if it is against your TOS to even personally create the AMI because of what Amazon does through the AMI creation process.

FYI - I found what was causing my issues. Make sure you don’t choose T3 instance types. I inadvertently chose T2 when installing 1805-2 and that was how I got it to install. As soon as I changed the instance to T3 I got the same errors.

Good to know, thanks for updating us.

Your three examples don’t cover your original question of making your AMI available for the public. If you do that then you are maintaining a version of the Distro for AWS and thus re-distributing the Distro.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.