Install of FreePBX distro fails on VMware

I don’t know 8) I’d suggest starting again, and seeing what ACTUALLY went wrong.

Being that you missed the ‘Advanced Installation’ option, I have a sneaking suspicion that you were just clicking through things on autopilot, and weren’t actually paying attention. For example, if you DON’T pick Advanced, you might not have realised the network interface defaults to OFF (this is RedHat’s design decision, not ours). If you pick ‘Advanced’, it does its best to turn it on for you.

Edit: Thinking about this, if you don’t turn that on, the machine has NO network interfaces at all. Asterisk refuses to start, and FreePBX can’t install. This is quite probably what caused your your problems.

Nice try, but no. It was very clear from the start that I should turn on the network and provide the parameters. The problem is that in most cases the installer didn’t let me the opportunity to do so, and simply continue without stopping at the parameters screen (starting with the previous screen to the one you put here), OR (even worse) it did stop there, but didn’t let me save the data.

The only thing I believe is right here is that I didn’t try the advanced settings, which I didn’t realize that it means “Manual installation”.

I believe that better documentation / alerts could solve this issue.

In addition - if you KNOW that without network the installation will fail, then better stop the installation and alert on the spot that there is no network and what would be the conseequences. That would definitely improve the user expereince of the uninformed end user.

If only Anaconda would let us be smarter. The Linux installer is dumb and very basic what we can do. But hey if you know a way please contribute back we are more than happy to take patches.

As far as advanced if you don’t pick advances than you are not supposed to set anything but the root password hence all your problems with trying to catch the right screen.

I understnad, but can’t help you with that.

But since you are aware that the “Advanced” is the solution, how about better documenting this so people will be aware of that? I am sure anaconda will let you add more text to the installation process. Could be even one liner…

1 Like