Install FreePBX Distro on Hypet-V - No Driver Found

Hi Everyone,
Am trying to install FreePBD Distro Stable-1.812.210.57 x64 in Hyper-V Virtual Machine. The installer boot normaly but then it ask for a disk driver as if it not detecting the Virtual Disk. Both Full Install iso and Net install do the same thing. I have seen post on this form reporting succfull installation of FreePBX Distro on Hyper-V so I must have miss somtinng. Is there a sepcific driver I should choos from the list or a disk driver i should used?
Thanks.

I have the same issue. I tried several different versions of FreePBX distro and all have the same issue. I think this is an issue with CentOS and not the FreePBX distro.

Microsoft published Linux Integration Services drivers for Hyper-V, but I believe that can only be used after Linux is installed. I haven’t found any documentation for using it during a Linux installation.

Strangely, CentOS 5.3 installs successfully on Hyper-V, but CentOS 5.8 has the missing storage controller issue. If you really want to use Hyper-V, you could always install 5.3, upgrade to 5.8 and build a FreePBX/Asterisk system manually. Also, I just installed the latest version of AsteriskNOW in Hyper-V without any issues.

I use VMware myself so not sure about Hyper-V but can you change the type of disk that is used (i.e. are there different SCSI controller representations or can you present an IDE disk to a virtual machine)? Another option might be to try the most recent build of PBXinaFlash (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pbxinaflash/files/). This is built on Centos 6.2 and should work fine. It uses FreePBX and has lots of addon features as well.

We also have a Centos 6.2 version of the FreePBX ISO so you could try that.

Tony: Sorry, didn’t want to get into competition with you.

Hi,

The driver popup on installation will appear if there are no network cards found on the system. Are you using the “Legacy Network Adapter” device with FreePBXDistro? The native Hyper-V NIC device is not supported in CentOS 5.8.

I am running FreePBX Distro 2.10 fine as a virtual machine under Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V.

Regards,
Tim Miller Dyck

Thanks for the tip. I installed the latest stable version (1.813.210.58) of FreePBX distro successfully on Hyper-V 2008 R2.

All of the CentOS 6.2 based distro’s do need the legacy network adapter too.

The very nice thing is that there are much better integration services on 6.2.

Adding the latest Linux Integration services for Hyper-V is actually a snap for the x64 distro based on the CentOS 6.2.

Download the 3.3 iso from microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29991

Attach the ISO in Hyper-V and mount it in linux:
mount /dev/cdrom /media

Then hop into that directory and run these two commands:
rpm -Uvh --nodeps kmod-microsoft-hyper-v-rhel63.3-4.20120605.x86_64.rpm
rpm -Uvh --nodeps microsoft-hyper-v-rhel63.3-4.20120605.x86_64.rpm

If you shutdown at this point, you can go into the hyper-v settings, make note of the mac address for the legacy adapter, remove it, then add the native adapter and assign it the same mac address.

Upon startup, you’ll have all the native integration components available including multiprocessor support (up to 4 cores), time sync, gigabit ethernet, etc.

These components will even work fine after applying kernel updates.