Install asterisk module app_xxx.c

I have an app_rtsp.c file i would like to install to asterisk so that I can monitor my IP Cameras through my SIP Phones. What are the steps to install a .c file on freepbx/asterisk?

Distro (Sangoma OS) or not?

edit: if you’re looking to integrate the app_rtsp found on Medooze or some github repos that are 10 years old, don’t bother because it won’t work with current versions of asterisk. (the API has changed since Asterisk 1.8)

Any module meant for asterisk should give you more than just a .c file. In short, the steps to install an Asterisk module are to follow the instructions from the author.

On Distro or any package-based system you would need to start by adding the Asterisk headers and probably build tools.

yum install asterisk-devel or on Debian apt install asterisk-dev

Then proceed with the build of your module. Most likely a make install at the end will put the module in the right place for your Asterisk installation. If not, you can look at /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf to find out where to put the module:

astmoddir => /usr/lib/asterisk/modules

if the module requires a config file, create it in /etc/asterisk and then either restart Asterisk or load your module on the CLI using module load modulename.so

2 Likes

So is there no way to install app_RTSP or get an RTSP stream to my IP Phones?

Normally, an app will have an entire directory of information, the least of which are the source code and the Makefile. If you have that, you put it into the system (I use /usr/src/…) and install the asterisk-devel package. This package sets up the environment for your custom app install.

The process is used in the Chan-SCCP-B Installation instructions if you want to see the full set of typical steps. This topic: Cant compile chan-sccp chan-sccp_master for my Ciso 797x phones actually has a lot of background in addition to some good resources if you want to install a new app.

Sorry, I can’t speak specifically to that. I know you can tap into multicast RTP streams with Cisco enterprise phones (Cisco Unified IP Phone Services Application Development Notes for Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Multiplatform Phones - Internal URI Features [Cisco Unified SIP Phone 3900 Series] - Cisco) and so maybe there’s a way to do what you want and leave Asterisk out of it altogether.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.