Incoming calls stop working but outbound calls work

Hello
I trying to debug a strange problem, after two years of running (with very little problems) my asterisk box can not receive incoming calls but can make outgoing calls. The timing is strange as it stopped after FreePBX upgraded their servers. When I look at the asterisk CLI, I see that my system registers with the trunk and I receive an ACK from the trunk but when an outside call is made, I never see an invite hit the server. I have all the proper ports open (5060 and 10000-20000 UDP and TCP)… What am I missing, I have been trying to resolve this using their “PAID” support which was a huge waste of time (and money) so I am turning to the community to help me figure what can be going on. I also included a dump of the output when I run a sip set debug peer command on the trunk

===================================================================================
trixbox*CLI> sip set debug peer fpbx-1-192b5871
SIP Debugging Enabled for IP: 184.72.227.214:5060
REGISTER 13 headers, 0 lines
Reliably Transmitting (NAT) to 184.72.227.214:5060:
REGISTER sip:trunk1.phonebooth.net SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 63.81.34.2:5060;branch=z9hG4bK4f29807f;rport
To: sip:[email protected]
Call-ID: [email protected]
CSeq: 105 REGISTER
User-Agent: Asterisk PBX
Max-Forwards: 70
Authorization: Digest username=“192b5871”, realm=“trunk.phonebooth.net”, algorithm=MD5, uri=“sip:trunk1.phonebooth.net”, nonce=“83718e6b-abee-49c6-9449-3539f8108efd”, response=“50033565dfbb9dc15391f02086a2159a”, qop=auth, cnonce=“79d37fee”, nc=00000003
Expires: 120
Event: registration
Content-Length: 0

trixbox*CLI>
<— SIP read from 184.72.227.214:5060 —>
SIP/2.0 200 OK
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 63.81.34.2:5060;received=63.81.34.2;branch=z9hG4bK4f29807f;rport=5060
To: sip:[email protected];tag=g4te76FDacH0S
CSeq: 105 REGISTER
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:35:26 GMT
User-Agent: FreeSWITCH-mod_sofia/1.0.4-hacked
Allow: INVITE, ACK, BYE, CANCEL, OPTIONS, PRACK, MESSAGE, SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY, REFER, UPDATE, REGISTER, INFO
Supported: precondition, path, replaces
Path: sip:pb2proxy-pro-aws03.phonebooth.net;lr

<------------->
— (13 headers 0 lines) —
Scheduling destruction of SIP dialog ‘[email protected]’ in 32000 ms (Method: REGISTER)
Reliably Transmitting (NAT) to 184.72.227.214:5060:
OPTIONS sip:trunk1.phonebooth.net SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 63.81.34.2:5060;branch=z9hG4bK3eec3612;rport
To: sip:trunk1.phonebooth.net
CSeq: 102 OPTIONS
User-Agent: Asterisk PBX
Max-Forwards: 70
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:33:56 GMT
Allow: INVITE, ACK, CANCEL, OPTIONS, BYE, REFER, SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY
Supported: replaces

trixbox*CLI>
<— SIP read from 184.72.227.214:5060 —>
SIP/2.0 200 ok
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 63.81.34.2:5060;branch=z9hG4bK3eec3612;rport=5060
To: sip:trunk1.phonebooth.net;tag=dae6a81a6d8d2d5d596768146f317b6f.078a
CSeq: 102 OPTIONS
Server: Phonebooth/1.0.0

<------------->
— (8 headers 0 lines) —
Really destroying SIP dialog ‘[email protected]’ Method: OPTIONS
Really destroying SIP dialog ‘[email protected]’ Method: REGISTER

If you are dealing with SIPStation, I just had a 1+ day outage after they moved their servers. Turns out their change for some reason made it necessary that I port forward UDP port 5060 from the router to my NAT’d PBX which had never been necessary before. I still don’t have to forward the RTP port range.

A second PBX (in a different location) that day had the same issue with inbound calls for several hours before suddenly the inbound calls started coming in again, and that system also doesn’t have port 5060 being forwarded from the router and still does not. I never got an explanation for what happened there.

The folks at SIPStation basically say nothing they did made this change necessary on my end, but as I know nothing changed on my end so I can only assume something in their server change caused this issue. My outage would have been much shorter if I had been able to get more quickly to getting a packet capture showing their INVITES hitting my public interface. I think part of the slowness on my part was due to the other PBX having had the identical problem, but only for a few hours before working again, so that lent to the issue being on SIPStation’s end. (And that they had broken outbound calling for about 30 hours before fixing it on their end…)

Funny to see this post come up. I had an outage of inbound service also last week (outbound was fine). I emailed support, and in the meantime searched for alternative providers. 23 hours later I received a message from support basically putting the issue back on my shoulders like it was a configuration issue. Two days later it magically started working again. Of course, I had already found new service and was up and running. Can’t say that I recommend SIPStation…

Coincident with the server change, I also had an issue with the Inbound failure. Seems that Sipstation server lost our primary DID (we have some aux one-per-station DIDs that are used for direct-dial-in and those continued to work.)

After whacking on configuration about 2 hours, I decided to try an experiment: I purchased an additional DID so our account would update and it fixed the problem. Subsequent email with Sipstation folks confirmed this as a “newly found” bug and it shouldn’t happen again.

Everything was working fine until this morning when Outbound starting failing. Inbound continues to work.

Upon seeing the notice about the “5060” port forward, I decided to try it and that fixed our problems. This is troublesome. I have two additional SIP providers on our system (mostly for calling areas not supported by Sipstation) and THEY don’t require the port forward. For more than two years Sipstation didn’t require the port forward. This cluster of recent problems is causing me to get some heat about finding another provider. Given the record (and support) so far, I would rather not do that. But having two back-to-back failures and seeing the “Store” down so much that I can’t even check my account status leaves me with some feeling of ‘fear uncertainty and doubt.’

I’m having the same issue right now. Inbound calls are working, but all outbound are failing. To top it off the sipstation support folks are not returning my emails. they are terrible. How can you pay for a service were folks do not offer a phone number for you to talk to a live person.
My outbound has been broken for 4 days now…not a word back from support.
I’m looking for a new providor. I just can’t work like this.

Yes, Sipstation is horrible, I’m 3 months into a port to them, horrible lack of communications from them, experienced the same outages a lot of others did during this most recent time frame (their previous outage/change did not affect me though), the only reason I started using their service was because they partnered with FreePBX and it was my way of saying thanks/giving money to FreePBX, unfortunately I imagine FreePBX is in a contract with them so they cannot easily separate themselves from Sipstation

Can someone start a new thread of VoIP providers they are happy with? Or is it possible to make a poll area in the forum for user to vote?

Same story over here. I ported everything over to the “paid” support, but am still having issues.

I would like to get off of these guys as well. Looking for alternative SIP providers.

sigh this has been a huge pain.

I switched to sipstation recently and for the second time in a few months I cannot receive incoming calls. I have a few businesses and all my family I am hosting with their service and they are all mad they cannot receive calls again! Their service works great for faxing, but I would stay away from them for voice calls. Their customer service sucks. Sent three emails and only thing I get back is auto response that they will reply to my email in 24 hours. This is THEIR outage, they need to email all their customers effected during an outage. They suck!