Inbound Issues

I have two extensions, 5000 and 5001. I setup an inbound route for my test DID from Flowroute to extension 5001. However, it doesn’t matter if I call from extension 5000 or a PSTN number, the CCSIP messages on the CME router (extension 5001) show the incoming call trying to reach 5001. It’s like FreePBX isn’t preserving the incoming DID when it goes to 5001. Is this default behavior? Regardless, how can I fix this? Thanks for any help.

The CME should not be an extension, it should be a trunk.

OK, I’ll give that a shot. How do I set the credentials that the CME uses on the trunk?

I would not use any credentials, use a static IP on Asterisk and the CME. In your outbound dial peer just set the session target and make sure it is set for UDP only.

On the Asterisk trunk use the static IP of the CME and an insecure=port,invite directive along with your regular trunk settings.

Cisco SIP stack does not authenticate SIP traffic by default so you can just blast invites at it via the trunk.

Well the idea is to register a CME across the WAN to FreePBX. I want to use credentials to accomodate people with dynamic IP’s. Can you provide me a link to some configuration descriptions for any of the items in “User Context”? I am guessing that is where I would specify credentials, along with other options (NAT, Reinvite, etc.).

Well, a couple of things come to mind. Asterisk does not have terrific NAT traversal, the CDR engine and FreePBX CDR’s don’t lend themselves to carrier billing and there is no practical way to cluster.

If you want to use Asterisk you should look at a2billing, it is a full featured tandem/billing platform for Asterisk.

If you are not married to Asterisk Freeswitch is a good option.

I answered the question regarding trunk options in this thread:

http://www.freepbx.org/forum/freepbx/general-help/dnis-passthrough-from-sip-trunk-to-sip-extension

Lastly you can use the “sip-ua” section in the CME (from IOS not the CME web interface) to configure SIP authentication options.

OK, I appreciate the help. I played with a2billing, but to be honest, it was too much of a pain to use. It seemed like a calling card provider instead of something that could be tailored to a residential service, or something flat rate. Also, I like the gui of FreePBX and according to a couple of emails I got back from a2billing, it seems everything (to include registration of endpoints) is done via a2billing and not FreePBX.

What you say is true of earlier a2billing. They added full support for ATA and hosted VoIP lines.

FreePBX was never designed to be a service provider platform. The CDR’s are not useful for billing purposes. Also FreePBX does not have an e911 or CALEA service provider interface so if you are in the US you are running afoul of federal regulations the moment you accept a dime for the service.

If this is a hobby and you are giving away service to a few friends then ignore my ramblings.

The only reason I chose FreePBX is because of the nice GUI. Asterisk has no GUI by itself from what I’ve been able to find. I don’t like the way a2billing is setup. I’m open for suggestions. My goal is to become a service provider for Residential customers, and then eventually expand to businesses.

What kind of Internet connection are you going to use?

Are you in the United States?

As I mentioned, this really is not what FreePBX is designed for.

I only have a home cable connection right now, but my plan is to migrate to a VPS from Godaddy. Yes, I am in the US. What are your thoughts?

You can’t run a service provider off a home cable connection.

I am also not thrilled with the VPS option. You can’t get an SLA from GoDaddy or any of the inexpensive VM providers on CPU latency or Internet quality.

Since you are in the US you have other concerns.

1 - What are you going to do if you are served a CALEA order from Law Enforcement? You have to have your plan on file with the FCC prior to launching service. Many folks ignore this requirement, recently the owner of a small VoIP company was fined $10,000 a day by the judge for contempt when unable to facilitate a Lawful Intercept warrant issued under CALEA.

2 - How are you going to handle e911 requirements?

Also Asterisk is not designed to be a gateway for that many NAT-T connections (your customers), you need some type proxy or SBC in front of the system. This is also a great place to do billing.

You can’t provide any level of customer service as a one man band and if you build a decent network the return on investment requires more subscribers than you can provide good customer service to.

If you can show me a working business plan I would love to see it. If not you are better off reselling service and collecting a commission.

The home cable connection is just something I’m testing with. I have no intention of running a provider from the house.

E911 requirements will be handled by my upstream provider. I am using Flowroute right now and they provide the E911 registration for each DID I get.

My current provider for my house VOIP is using Asterisk for his business and it runs just fine. I know he uses a mix of Asterisk and Chameleon (or however you spell that).

I’ve been in contact with Voipo about their reseller platform and it sounds promising, but they don’t support T.38 so I am thinking of reselling Residential through Voipo and route all fax DID’s through Flowroute, to my platform via VPS, and then to Voipo. Voipo told me they won’t interface directly with another provider, but they will to a PBX. They provide the billing platform for everything (myself and end customers).

Or I could do a custom solution with A2Billing on top of Asterisk with a VPS.

I’m still planning all of this and until I’m satisfied with a good platform to handle billing/endpoint registration/routing, I’m not going live. I am using my house and couple of DID’s, an ATA, and a Cube for testing.